F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Painting and chroming

Old 11-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Default Painting and chroming

I am wanting to paint my f4i black (or some plain yet CLEAN looking color) and i also want to chrome my rims. My questions are, how much does it cost to have your rims chromed (or buy a set)? i have looked at ebay and they are about 400 to 700 dollars and that sounds like a little much for me. my second question is i am thinking of using the Dupli-Color premixed paint in a small i think quart sized can. They make black, white, yellow, silver i think but i like the black. You have to get a can of primer and then the paint and then the clear. I was wondering if it will be cheaper to do this (at about 25 dollars a can) or just take the plastics off and go somewhere and have them painted. I would like to hear all kinds of input on this topic. and if you cant tell, im on a budget so nothing custom. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

-MMMichael

Old 11-23-2009, 06:54 PM

Do it yourself, pull the plastics and make sure to do impeccable prep work! Prep is 90% of paint, also make sure you have enough paint.

As for the rims, get the powdercoated somewhere, should be like 150 bucks or less for both wheels.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:13 PM

yeah thats the price range i figured, and i really wanted to do it myself. I have very little patience though, so the body work is the hardest part for me. Any tips on how to get the plastics in flawless shape before paint?