F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Paint job

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint job

Next thing I wanna do to my bike is to get a basic solid color paintjob. I got quoted from a local paintshop for $700 for a solid bright red color. Is that a good price?

Also, I was wondering how hard it is to paint a bike myself. I know I can take apart all the plastics and gas tank myself, but what's the procedure to painting the parts? If anything, I was thinking about going to walmart or some auto store to buy sandpaper and some cans of red paint that I like and some cans of primer, and clear coat.

Is it as simple as sanding down the surface... spray the primer... spray the paint, then add layers of clear coat?

I don't have a sealed room or anything like how the professionals do it so dust or anything don't go on the surface while painting. I basically have my garage driveway. I don't really care for a super perfect flawless job if I'm gonna save $700. As long as it looks good.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:07 PM
Default RE: Paint job

ahh... dang.. to tell you the truth i have the same dilemma. i was looking for a painting guy for a that would do it for 500. i finally got a hold of someone. surprisingly it was through graigslist and he will do that job at the end of the month.

i aslo wanted to do the job myself; however, just like you i knew how to take off the plastics, sand it down (decal need solution first) and prime it. a foreseeable problem for myself was the air brush painting. sure you can buy a small kit on ebay but you will need few hours of practice first and the same thing goes for clear coat(not from a can, stray brush). my major issue was the drying process, i dont have anywhere to place the fairing where its clean enough that dust will not accumulate and if you paint over the dust you will have little bump all over the fairing. also, since the drying will not be a somewhat of controlled environment you might start forming bubbles due to heat/evaporation or crack/clips if its too cold.

g-luck. i would find another guy that would do it for 600. 600 hundred is a fair price, anything bellow that is great.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm about to do mine too. I'd like to know about removing the foam backing from the fairings and the foam under the tank. Can anyone share?

Old 03-13-2007, 05:10 PM

and once u do urs jay im going to get your help on mine lol

Naw but if it is dramitically cheaper might as well get that one solid black color with the blue tiger.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Candymanmo06F4I

Naw but if it is dramitically cheaper might as well get that one solid black color with the blue tiger.
Whatdju talkin' bout Willis??

Old 03-13-2007, 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180

ORIGINAL: Candymanmo06F4I

Whatdju talkin' bout Willis??
JUST BE COOL JUST BE COOL. It will be on a FRIDAY and u aint got S&*T to do.

hehe

Old 03-13-2007, 06:05 PM

WELL I'M ABOUT TO DO MINE JUST LIKE YOU DESCRIBED.I'M GOING TO TRY IT OUT THIS WEEK,I'LL LET EVERYONE KNOW HOW IT COMES OUT.BY THE WAY I'M GOING TO TRY TO USE THAT METALLIC CHROME LOOKING BLUE THAT U CAN BUY AT AUTOZONE.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:15 PM

i just got mine done for 600 with body work it looks so sick man its acura tl white ill post pics

Old 03-13-2007, 06:20 PM

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...naf/paint1.jpg

with the 1000 rr

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p48/lovinaf/rr2.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...naf/paint2.jpg

tell me what u guys thing its a 02 f4i,
powercommander(custom tune)
-1 gears in the front
Full yoshi pipes
alot more but its rides out

Old 03-13-2007, 08:21 PM

Heres mine I just finished...did everything myself, but I have had practice. What ya think? Some may have seen it.

Quick Reply: Paint job