F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Overflow hose dripping?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overflow hose dripping?

I've been searching through the forum and 600rr.net and have found mixed answers. Some people say that it is normal for bikes to drip from the overflow hoses from time to time and others say it it not.

My bike is an '05 with about 6000 miles on it and recently I went into my garage and saw a quarter size drip spot right beneath the first and second overflow hoses from the left. It is a brownish slippery liquid that looks similar to oil but it doesn't feel like it has the same viscosity, or I might just be crazy and it could be oil. I checked the oil window and it is a little more than half way between the first and min and max levels, so I don't have too much oil in there or anything.

Anyways, has anyone else experienced this before?

Last edited by FoCoCBR; 08-09-2011 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 08-10-2011, 06:49 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It might just be access chain lube that flung off on to your fairing and is now dripping down.
It would make sense for that colour but not the viscosity of oil?

Old 08-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffjones
It might just be access chain lube that flung off on to your fairing and is now dripping down.
It would make sense for that colour but not the viscosity of oil?
I checked to see if it was chain lube and it definitely isn't. After really feeling it between my fingers it kinda does feel more like motor oil, and has that slight brownish tint to it.

Does anyone know why oil would be coming out of one of the vent hoses?

Old 08-11-2011, 07:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are you absolutely sure it is coming from one of three hoses (air, gas overflow and gas breather--or whatever it is called)?

If so, it could be gunk. My gas overflow hose was kinked for about a year from when I got the bike because I didn't know. After I straightened the hose, old water + a little bit of rust/dirt came out when I washed by bike (water went into the gas tank filler and drained through the overflow part).

If it is not any of the above, take off both fairings, put the bike on a rear stand and get under there to see where the leak is coming from if it really is oil. I had an oil lead for a year from my oil cooler and didn't really know about it until a few weeks ago, but I only dripped a few drops of oil and most of it burned off on the exhaust.

An oil leak is dangerous, not only because of ruining your engine, you could have low side if it gets on you tires.

Check and let us know.