F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

one wire headlight mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default one wire headlight mod

i see that lots of people do the headlight mod on their f4i bikes. most use several wires and relays to do so.i was thinking of making mine so that both lights work on dim but the single light works on high.i believe both bulbs are the same (same honda part number)
couldnt you just run a wire from the dim headlight over to the dim terminal on the high beam light?
i dont think it will overload the charging system
anyone have any suggestions?

Old 04-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: one wire headlight mod

So in the stock case, the left light is a low-beam and right light is high-beam. There's only one (single filament) bulb in each...
If I understand correctly, what you want is to turn the high beam on but the low beam OFF when the light switch is on high? Why is that? Then you couldn't see anything that's close to your bike clearly.
Even if that is the case, where is the 'dim terminal' on the high beam? Maybe I'm missing something here,(are you talking about some mod headlights?) but at least in the stock wiring diagram I don't see one.
Some bikes have a dual-lamp headlight (or dual filament lamp), only in that case the dim terminal exists... in the F4i though the high/low is by headlight aim - mechanically

If you run a wire between the lamps, I doubt if you could select only one to be on at any time... either both will be on or off. To make only one on you will need a diode and some rewiring - but then why do that?

In any case, for a stock bike, in full beam both lights are on - so the charging system/battery can handle that... just dont short the power wire to ground!

Old 04-11-2007, 12:50 AM

I've been wondering this myself. It seems to me that you could get the dual headlight effect this way without having to wire in a relay. Anyways here was my idea on how to do it:

What if you replaced the bulb in the high beam side with a dual filament bulb and left the low beam side as it is? Then you could run a wire from the low beam to one of the high beam filaments, and run the other wire that goes to the high beam originally to the second filament. That way, you would have both lights on all the time, and when you switch on the high beam it would light up the second filament on the right side making it brighter.

Has anyone tried to do something like this? I've been searching the forums and all i can find is tutorials on how to wire both bulbs with a relay. This way seems much simpler to me but i feel like i'm missing something here because I can't find anyone else that has done it this way.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:56 AM

If I'm understanding you correctly,,, your saying that both bulbs are the same brightness, but one is mechanically ((screw driver wise or wrench, w/e ???)) adjusted a little higher for better long view? Right? So why not just run your brights on all the time?? Both lights are on,, One is shining downward and the other farther out.... right or wrong? cause to be honest with you,, I have never turned my bright lights off.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:25 AM

ORIGINAL: schultzy

i see that lots of people do the headlight mod on their f4i bikes. most use several wires and relays to do so.i was thinking of making mine so that both lights work on dim but the single light works on high.i believe both bulbs are the same (same honda part number)
couldnt you just run a wire from the dim headlight over to the dim terminal on the high beam light?
i dont think it will overload the charging system
anyone have any suggestions?
Yeah, both bulbs are H7 monofilament bulbs. They are exactly the same; and both have the same current running to them. One of them is aimed higher by a few degrees which gives the effect of being brighter.
Switching these wires would only reverse what it means to flip on your brights.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:00 AM

I run mine all the time as well and at nite I cut the high-beam off unless I'm on a back road or alone on the interstate

Old 04-11-2007, 04:48 PM

I think that having 2 lows running off of the same circuit/switch that was only intended to run one might overload the wiring/switch and burn them out (just a guess)

Old 04-12-2007, 10:59 AM

ORIGINAL: dreadf4i600

I run mine all the time as well and at nite I cut the high-beam off unless I'm on a back road or alone on the interstate
thats exactly what I do...

Old 04-12-2007, 11:42 AM

Its the way the mirrors are arranged, it wont work

Old 04-12-2007, 02:27 PM

The refective backing on my 02' are shaped differently.