F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

oil in my radiator and water in my oil if you have experience this please help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil in my radiator and water in my oil if you have experience this please help.

So for no good reason i overheated the bike and to make a long stry short I just today noticed that there is oil leaking into the coolant and vice versa. So my big question is for those of you that have seen this on a f4i is it usually just the gasket or do they tend to crack somewhere. Also wheres a good spot to get the gaskets. And does anyone have the repair manual link handy? I know i used to have it but cant seem to find it.
thanks Matt

Old 08-19-2008, 05:37 PM
Default RE: oil in my radiator and water in my oil if you have experience this please help.

Head gasket sounds like the issue. From the experience i have seen with bikes anyways.....Shouldnt be much trouble for a descently mechanically inclined person. But if you have too, i'd send it to the shop. Let them take care of it and warranty their work.....Would hate to see u do it urself and have the gasket not seal properly.....=-)

Old 08-19-2008, 06:29 PM
Default RE: oil in my radiator and water in my oil if you have experience this please help.

unfortunately I am mechanicaly inclined and so it sounds like another project for me. I just need to track down that service manual and some gaskets. something i really didnt want to do without being able to add performance at the same time.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:30 PM

not a bad idea to at least take the head to a machine shop and have it pressure checked for cracks and checked for straightness. Aluminum heads like to warp easily. If need be have them machine off a tiny bit, and i do mean tiny, dont wanna mess with compression too much on these engines. I know the shop i used to work at charged like $40 to do above said things down here in atlanta.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best case, blown head gasket. Worst case, warped or cracked head.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:58 AM

Best solution, send it in to a shop. Gasket change, very likely might need some machining on the aluminum head. You never really know until you open it up, Oil in water is bad. Water in oil is scary. I hope you did not get to ridethe bikein this condition.

Good luck.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:10 AM

looks like warped cyl.headto me[:@]

Old 08-20-2008, 09:34 AM
WOT

Sorry about your luck dude, as stated above, it's most likely a blown head gasket. How many miles are on your bike?

Old 08-20-2008, 08:22 PM

ya either a blown head gasket. or i had a friend that somehow blew the oil cooler.. same effect

Old 08-22-2008, 11:46 PM

Well I just got the head off and there are no obvious signs of cracking or gasket failure so I will probally check for warpage sometime this weekend. As for that oil cooler coment made, Do F4i's actually have a oil cooler? I didnt think so but havent really looked for one either.

Quick Reply: oil in my radiator and water in my oil if you have experience this please help.