F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

odd oil change technique?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default odd oil change technique?

so i was at one of my dads friends houses today and he was sayin that on his bike (which is a harley) every fourth or fifth time he changes the oil he wil let it drain out then start the bike with no oil in it for like 2 or 3 seconds to force the rest of the oil out now ive never herd of this technique or if it is just a harley thing but i was wondering if anyone on here uses that technique or not, he also said he get about another 2/3 cup of old oil out when he does this

Old 03-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: odd oil change technique?

im sure there will still be some residule oil let over after an oil change but it doesnt warrant starting it without oil. i know 2-3 seconds might not seem that long but personally i wouldn't do it.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:50 PM

yeah i hope that one time the dumbass lets it run for like 10 secs and locks up the pistons. i would NOT advise ever trying that. If you really want to make sure all the oil comes out walk away for liek 2 hours and let it drain.dont chance causing a **** ton of damage for 2 oz of oil.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:02 PM

Yeah letting it run withno oil is not something you want to do. With my dirt bike I will give it one or two kicks to get out some of the extra oil out but never run it.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Real stupid idea IMO.
Not worth the risk of engine damage.
Whatever small amount ofold oil is left will be mixed with the fresh oil and filtered anyway.
I've seen plenty of car engines with 200k miles on them thathave never donethat.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:19 PM

Haha... Harley guys [&:]

You should never do that.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's an old-skool technique. A lot of car guys do it....just bump the starter. I used to do it, cause my uncle taught me to, but once I was on my own I didn't do it. But then again, you were also draining warm oil, which had some lubrication at the top of the cylinder.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:51 PM

yeah, there still is some on the walls of the cyl and in the valve train to keep it lubed for a few second. I mean with larger oil filters some times it takes that long just to fill the oil filter before the bike gets pressure....so I don't think it would cause any harm if for only 2 seconds, but I still would not do it. Its just not worth it, if you want to remove all the old oil, just get some 10w-40 motor oil from wal-mart, fill it, let that run for a min, and drain that......I did that when I got my bike just because it had 25k on it and I just felt like it lol. I also threw a wal-mart oil filter on there, it is was like an ST7314 or something....I just used it as a quick flush for the hell of it....then drained it out for M1 and a good filter....not that there is anything wrong with the SuperTech filters, they are on par with Honda OEM....

Old 03-23-2008, 09:55 PM

Warm the bike up so it flows better, then remove the filler cap and blow compressed air at a low pressure no more then 50psi. I usually blow air thru my oil pan thru the drain hole and usually get a bit more of oil out of it. Since the oil is old and has mileage on it should burn right up after a while anyways.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:13 AM

ORIGINAL: bluej511
Since the oil is old and has mileage on it should burn right up after a while anyways.
I don't think it will burn up, it will just mix in with the new oil, if it burned up I would be worried.

Quick Reply: odd oil change technique?