F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Not Sure What's Up..EFI, Plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Sure What's Up..EFI, Plugs?

As the thread states, I'm not too sure what's going on with my bike all of a sudden. I'm wondering (hoping) if it's just some bad gas or gunked up plugs as, the problem is a bit off and on.

Seems like after running it pseudo hard (redline or close to in first and second), it feels like the throttle is slightly shuddering - sort of what it feels like when you're running on fumes. After a bit, the engine tone changes and sounds rough, ever so vaguely sounding like a parallel twin which makes me think a cylinder is either slacking or off.

Twice after having this occurrence, I've shut the bike off and when I go to restart it the EFI doesn't kick in. At first I thought maybe it was to do with my lines or throttle cable as, I just put on new levers but, that is not the case. I also checked the killswitch and ensured it was clean. If I wait a few minutes, say about half a cigarette smoked with the bike off, everything is fine again.

No idea how old the plugs are, but the last owner did give me a set when I got the bike off him..so that's my first thing to investigate as the bike does seem to run a little rich as is. I have just shy of 46k km/28,500 miles on it. Ha, probably doesn't help that my coolant is low but even then, temps have been normal, just did an oil change two or three weeks ago (improved gas mileage, so I figure that aspect is fine).

Just hoping it's not the fuel rail. If you guys have any insight or ideas, feel free to put them out there. I'll see about changing the plugs today as it should be done regardless.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:01 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the r/r and connection.
If it's beginning to fail, as it heats up,
it won't keep up with the load demands of the ignition.
After it has a chance to cool, it stabilizes.

Ern

Old 06-30-2013, 06:47 AM

Don't mind me, just got home about an hour ago after the bike breaking down several hours ago..had to bring it home on a flatbed but, r/r connection?

Changed the spark plugs today, bit of white on most of them, one on the far left (clutch side) had some wet oil on it. Issue is persisting though. I tried to burn off what I thought could've been bad gas and refilled with 94 octane, didn't change a thing. I was on the freeway doing hard accelerations and letting it unwind in 5th gear, periodically shooting out large flames. Decided to pull over at a truck stop, unplugged the ECU to try and reset things just in case it was a knock sensor acting up, and then the FI wouldn't kick back in.

I'm getting a light code though. Looks like one solid, and two flashes, need to look that up. I'll investigate in this r/r deal. Ha also about the fuel rail..if that were the issue, looks like a easy job.

Edit: If it's one solid, two flash it looks like "#1 injector connection, or faulty injector". Thought maybe it was a faulty map sensor at first..bah.

Last edited by Nekronaut; 06-30-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:51 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

There are test procedures to test the injector. It's pretty much constant power with a ecu triggered ground. It's the same power as the coils. When it runs, does it run on all 4 cylinders?

I had a similar problem recently. After riding 35 minutes, fuel pump shut off and bike died. After sitting for a some time, it starts and runs great. It could idle all day (with a fan in front), but 35 minutes into riding....it dies and no pump. Brought a bunch of tools with me to test on the side of the road, but it would always start right away.

Turned out to be a faulty BAS shutting things off. However, mine had no codes which is what led me to the BAS (not an ECU controlled part with the capability to shut everything down.)

Old 07-01-2013, 09:45 PM

Hey Demon,

Unfortunately the bike is no longer running after breaking down the other night, all the electronics seem to turn on but, with the fuel pump not engaging I can't even start the thing - cranks but no dice.

I am partial to think that when it was acting up while in motion that a cylinder was being dropped because, the sound of the engine would change and would sort of remind me of a parallel twin..best way I can describe it. During said conditions, when it idled it was a bit mixed, some times it seemed to idle fine, another time I recall it every so slightly bouncing between 1000-1100 and fairly roughly.

While the code may say #1 injector, I'm really starting to wonder if it's the fuel pump or the ECM. I unplugged the black connector of the ECM and, it was still giving me the same code..which I thought was weird, also odd that it doesn't give me any code when the bikes kick stand is tucked up.

Another reason I'm considering it may have something to do with the ECM is, just before I picked up the bike in January the PO said he was having issues getting the bike to start due to that infamous pink wire..if it's the wire I think it is (predominantly pink, with a slight green line on it, connected to the black connector) the thing has been holding on by a thread since I got it, and becoming progressively worse. I finally clipped the wire today but, I don't think it's connected 100%. Also oddly, even without that one wire connected, and the rest of the ECM plugged in, it gives me the same flash code.

At this point I am pretty damn disgruntled, and down right pissed off. I am going to take insurance off the bike and, put my car back on the road until I can get this thing sorted out. I just wish I knew exactly why the fuel pump isn't engaging/whining when I flick the kill switch..I can't see one fuel injector disabling the whole system.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:14 PM

The pink wire comes off the back of the ignition switch. It carries 9v to the computer. If its not 9v, the ecu won't turn on. Its a security thing.

One injector and fuel pump shouldn't be related. Unless the wiring to #1 has shorted out and taken out the system. Did you check the fuses, lately?

Does your bike have a HISS system? We don't here in the states, but I don't know about up there.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:54 AM

Hmm, well the ignition seems to work fine, it cranks but obviously won't catch since the fuel pump is off.

I have checked the fuses yes, they look good. See, I didn't think a faulty injector could cause the fuel pump to cut itself off. I will have to check the wire to the injector if possible. Honestly I don't know if it has the security (HISS) on it, I can't imagine the specs are any different than the models dispersed in the US (minus Cali). Would help had I received the owners manual with this bike..I have a shop manual, which I doubt would tell me about the differences in models between the US and Canada.

I'm really starting to think it's just the fuel pump. Thanks thus far for your help man, most appreciated. Not having the bike going is actually really stressful, I almost quite literally live to ride (started early this year in January, haha) so, not being able to do so is driving me crazy.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:14 AM

Does the fuel pump have power to it?

Time to do some real tracing.

Last edited by 74demon; 07-02-2013 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:15 AM

Have you tried to bypass the bas(tip) sensor?

Old 07-02-2013, 04:20 PM

The pump should have power to it. I suppose there's a possibility it's been on and off but, with the way the bike was acting, I am more inclined to think it's mechanical failure or something. Thus the odd throttle response on highway cruising, sound of the bike running rough, and the fuel pump having to rest before wanting to start up again..til it or something died.

rd91si: I have not tried to bypass the tip sensor..are these prone to going?

Well on a hunch I decided to take a risk and, ordered a fuel pump. If it turns out I don't need it then, no big deal as I'm sure I'll eventually get some use out of the things. I'm going to talk to an experienced rider and racer today that usually knows his stuff when ti comes to bikes..see what info he may be able to come up with. Will keep you guys posted, thanks once again for the ideas.

Quick Reply: Not Sure What's Up..EFI, Plugs?