F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Normal Idle Speed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Normal Idle Speed?

Hi guys, I have been wondering for a while if my bike is idling normally. On a cold start it climbs quickly to about 3K rpms (which is quite loud and annoying for the neighbors I'm sure). By the time the it reads a temperature (usually about 1 minute after start) it calms down to about 2K rpms and sits there for a while, it will eventually idle at just above 1,5K rpms. Does that sound normal? I did google this and couldn't find any definite guidelines so any help is much appreciated.

3K just seems kind of high for idling even on a cold start..

Old 11-15-2013, 03:41 PM

Mine does like yours and I'm quite annoyed myself. Love everything about my bike except for that few minutes warming up time. Mostly when I do group riding, every one else ride straight away after starting, while I have to sit there waiting my RPM to calm down

Old 11-15-2013, 03:47 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

If it makes you feel any better they are supposed to let their bikes warm up too, but they don't. My old neighbor had an F4i we kept his bike running great and it did the same thing, My F4 does it but the only difference is that I have to do it manually with a choke lever instead of your wax unit.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:06 PM

Ok, so it's probably fairly normal then. Back to not worrying about it!

Ps. Always let the bike warm up!

Old 11-15-2013, 06:53 PM

Yea I've got a 04 with a shorty two bros can and cold it idles around 3k and is loud as hell and yes my neighbors hate me but I simply tell them you wouldn't cook in the oven with out preheating it lol usually a quick conversation ended then I hope on and leave lol

Old 11-15-2013, 09:52 PM

My 06 is similar, not quite 3k rpm though. I have the idle set at about 1,400rpm when warm.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by CJardine
If it makes you feel any better they are supposed to let their bikes warm up too, but they don't. My old neighbor had an F4i we kept his bike running great and it did the same thing, My F4 does it but the only difference is that I have to do it manually with a choke lever instead of your wax unit.
OK, I feel a bit better
But the question is why the newer models don't have this 'compulsory' warming up period? My friend gixxer only warm up about 5 seconds then back to idle (2009 model), same goes to CBR600RR 2011 belongs to another friend. Mine takes at least 1 minute

Old 11-21-2013, 03:05 PM

well probably because ours were the early adopters of FI. technology has gone a long way

Old 11-21-2013, 09:23 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Kopi Ko
OK, I feel a bit better
But the question is why the newer models don't have this 'compulsory' warming up period? My friend gixxer only warm up about 5 seconds then back to idle (2009 model), same goes to CBR600RR 2011 belongs to another friend. Mine takes at least 1 minute
F4i's seem to cool better then any other sportbike I've come across, so it stands to reason they take a little longer to get up to temp. You really only need to get some heat in the pistons and cylinder before going, and you've done that by the time you get a reading on the temp gauge. Any more time then that spent idling is a waste of time and even potentially more wear inducing then riding very easily to get heat into the oil quicker.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:35 AM

It's normal mine goes to 3k till the temp gage starts showing temp then 1400.
That's one of the reasons I haven't put an exaust on my bike I work 9pm to 5am
and I try to be kind to my neighbors. I have started and taken off without warming up
if I'm in a real hurry with no problems just ride slowly until up to temp.

Quick Reply: Normal Idle Speed?