F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is this normal?

Hey everyone. How many gallons do you guys get on an empty tank? I get about 3 gallons after all the bars are gone on the reserve. Is that normal? I've read somewhere that it's 4.5. Correct me if im wrong. It's never really bothered me until today. I put in a full tank and after only 80 miles of canyon riding, I was down to my last bar on reserve. All inputs and info. are welcome.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think it should be a little more than 3 gallons if all of the bars are gone. The last time I filled up, with all of the bars there, I had to use about 3.5 gallons to get the gas back to the top of the tank. Now, if all of your bars are gone and you only need about 3 gallons to top the tank off, then keep using that gas station, maybe they are shooting out more gas than usual.

As for your 80 miles/3 gallons, that is about 27 MPG. If you have been riding aggressively, than that is normal. Usually slow-mo commuters (like myself) can get about 45 MPG with low RPM gear change.

I think that your fill capacity at empty should be closer to 4 to 4.5 gallons if I am not mistaken. (the fuel reserve bars come on when there is only like .9 gallons left)

Old 04-24-2009, 09:32 PM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by supersnake83
I think it should be a little more than 3 gallons if all of the bars are gone. The last time I filled up, with all of the bars there, I had to use about 3.5 gallons to get the gas back to the top of the tank. Now, if all of your bars are gone and you only need about 3 gallons to top the tank off, then keep using that gas station, maybe they are shooting out more gas than usual.

I think that your fill capacity at empty should be closer to 4 to 4.5 gallons if I am not mistaken. (the fuel reserve bars come on when there is only like .9 gallons left)
Lol. I'm pretty sure the gas stations are correct because I usually fill up when the reserve light comes on and it takes about 2 gallons or so to fill it back up. Hmm... so is there something wrong with my bike or maybe the sensor?? Oh... btw the reserve lights sometimes comes on and will go off for a couple minutes and then come back on by the time I've reached the gas station. Happened about 4 or 5 times. Anyone reconize these symptoms??

Old 04-25-2009, 09:53 AM

Did you see the gas level? Those vapor recovery nozzles are a pain to use and they clip off way early to make sure the tank is full. The reserve sensor on my is noisy, when it comes on, the bar is changing constantly, sometimes it does go off and comes back on. Not sure if its' normal or not.

I usually get about 37~38mpg on the daily commute but i think I need to change my plug and clean my K&N air filter.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:18 PM
July 2008 ROTM

I've put as much as like 4.3 gallons in.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gallons or dollars? lol

on empty mine takes about 4.5gl, if I fill it up just when the light comes on it takes about 3.

I get roughly 180 miles out of a tank unless its all 'spirited' riding then its more like 130 or 140 lol

Old 04-25-2009, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by ep_houston
Did you see the gas level? Those vapor recovery nozzles are a pain to use and they clip off way early to make sure the tank is full. The reserve sensor on my is noisy, when it comes on, the bar is changing constantly, sometimes it does go off and comes back on. Not sure if its' normal or not.
I dont know much about vapor recovery nozzles but the tank seems to be full after I fill up.

So it seems that i'm getting about a gallon less than everyone else. Is there doing something wrong with my bike or am I doing something wrong?

Old 04-25-2009, 09:04 PM

alright well dont know if you know this but after you will, when filling your tank go ahead and lift the recovery cover(the black cover on the nozzle) back so you can see the fuel going into the tank if you just sick the nozzle all the way in the tank you'll only get about half a tank

Old 04-26-2009, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by 02f4irider
alright well dont know if you know this but after you will, when filling your tank go ahead and lift the recovery cover(the black cover on the nozzle) back so you can see the fuel going into the tank if you just sick the nozzle all the way in the tank you'll only get about half a tank
Thanks for the tip. So I now know that if I stick the nozzle in all the way, i'll only get half a tank. But I don't get what you mean by lifting te black cover on the nozzle.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:54 PM

not all pumps have the black rubber thingy. yours probably don't if you don't know what he is talking about

Quick Reply: Is this normal?