F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

noooo... BIKE IS DOWN!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noooo... BIKE IS DOWN!!!

so my friend doesn't have his license or permit... but i've seen him ride bikes before to practice with. He basically had it down so he said he wanted to try my bike, so I let him. Basically just up and down the street, there's no cars or people walking aroun, just a straight road with a U turn at the end.

He goes straight, and at the U-turn, I guess he felt wobbly so he gassed it and somehow lost control and slammed into the curb. Normally, curbs are around 5 inches high or so... but at the some parts where there's the water drains, there's a dip and makes the curb like 1 feet high instead... he somehow hit that part of the curb at like 30+ mph.

I saw him hit it... he hit it fast, stopped right at that spot, the rear end of the bike flew up like he was doin a stoppie, then slammed back down and he dropped the bike on its right side.

Damage is what you can guess. Bent rim, bent forks, tires pushed in far enough to hit the radiator, and the radiator got pushed back barely enough to put scratches on the headers. Right fairing is scratched up a bit from laying it on its side. Good thing I have sliders to save it from really bad damage.

He's gonna pay for all the repairs, or if anything, he'll pay $5000 for my damaged bike. It's an 01 f4i. I'll use that as a down payment, and get an RR or something.

Besides that, how much do you guys think it'll cost to repair everything? Is it easy to install forks, radiator, etc by myself? If I do go to a bike shop, how many hours of labor will they charge me?

UPDATE April 13, 2007
Got my radiator and my black powdercoated rims in today. Still waitin on the forks but will start installing these for now

Old 04-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Default RE: noooo... BIKE IS DOWN!!!

ouch, better check the neck on your frame make sure it's straight or else there is no use trying to fix anything else

Old 04-07-2007, 12:32 PM

If it were me, I would take the $5K he offered for the busted bike and buy a new one.
let him deal with the mess he made.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Banned

If it were me, I would take the $5K he offered for the busted bike and buy a new one.
let him deal with the mess he made.
Take the money and run.

My buddy let me ride his new051kRR when I first got my license (no prior experience)and I can tell you I WALKED that thing around turns. I stopped when I felt like I didn't know how to make a turn and I was so happy to give that thing back in one piece each time (rode it for about two weeks). But yeah, if I broke it, I would have bought it.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:59 PM

yup take the $. All that repair that's his fault is not worth the time and hassle.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:05 PM

Take the money it cost to fix it, the 5K and buy a new bike. Keep the bike. File an insurance claim, collect that money too. And never ever let anyone ride your bike again. Sorry to hear about that bro.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch!!
Just a crappy situation all the way around.
Good luck on whatever avenue you decide to take.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:02 PM
Retired Moderator

I was moaning the whole time I read your post. I practically had to read it through my fingers (like when you watch a scary movie). I agree with everyone else. Take the cash and get yourself a new ride. My friend laid his down, and it seemed like it started a chain reaction of problems, one thing after the next. Then he sold it, and got a Daytona...no more problem. Really sorry, though, I bet your friend is just sick about it.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:52 PM

It's cool that your friend owned up to his mistake and is taking responsibility for it. That's a good friend

I agree, if he offered for $5000 to pay for the damaged bike, pick up a new bike instead of repairing it. We all know after an accident, nothing's ever the same again..haha. Good luck!

Old 04-07-2007, 08:53 PM
IDL

Oh man that sucks! Not just the fact that you can't ride it now but all the hassle that comes along with repairs/collecting money/etc..

That must have been pretty awkward after..

Quick Reply: noooo... BIKE IS DOWN!!!