F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Is this noise something to be worried about?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

possible but you said you dont notice any power issues so not sure bc you would think that with much movement on a plug you would loose power my bike has 11000 on it so that was my only guess if you figure it out please post wat it was

Old 03-15-2011, 09:29 PM

It could be a loose plug, but if you change them the bike will run better and you maybe will cure the noise. Its weird that anything is wrong at only 7k miles, hmmm

Old 03-15-2011, 09:32 PM

loose plug would cause backfire you would think ... running too lean shouldnt it

Old 03-15-2011, 09:42 PM

a loose plug would miss at the cylinder would work itself out eventually so unlikely, but a loose coil pack would make the cylinder miss alot, causing a backfire everytime you rev it as the unburned fuel got ignighted in the midpipe and exhaust, i know i had all 4 go bad a few months back and the flame looked cool, but the bike ran like crap . so if you dont feel any power loss, its just a fairy in the engine, you can look but never will find anything

Old 03-16-2011, 06:34 AM

Yeah, a loose plug would do just that, you'd have running issues also.

Since you just changed the CCTL (are you sure the bolts that tightens it to the head are well tightened?) and the bike has few miles, making it improbable that the valve clearances are tight/loose, I'd bet it's oil...

Did you use a different type oil in your last change? Different weight?
I say this because I noticed that when I shortly used 15-40 to "clean" her inside, the bike sounded different, noisier like the valves were out of spec or the oil cooler was clicking and it pretty much sounded like yours.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:30 AM

The oil I'm using is Rotella T6 5w-40 full synthetic and before that I used Honda GN-4 conventional oil.

I made sure that the CCTL bolts were all properly torqued.

I should also mention that this noise has plagued my bike since i bought it at 3k miles. Also I haven't noticed any power loss and it very rarely backfires.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:02 PM

I have taken the bike almost apart and found that the valve cover breather hose was not connected to the air box. This is how it came from the factory since this is the first time the airbox has come off.

I took off the exhaust headers to see if it was an exhaust leak and it wasn't. Now I do have an exhaust leak until I get new gaskets which I ordered today.

All the spark plugs were tight and the coils seemed fine.

I will find out if I cured the noise as soon as I install the new exhaust gaskets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOkpL4JkIbI

Old 03-16-2011, 12:28 PM

Might just be me, but that noise sounds perfectly normal. A lot of Honda engines have that 'valve clatter' noise, which is caused by the gap between the rocker arm and camshaft lobe. I honestly wouldn't worry about anything, but maybe you can check the valve adjustments if you haven't already done it.

My bike and many others I've seen sound the same as yours, unless the video didn't capture the noise very well.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lucentinjection
Might just be me, but that noise sounds perfectly normal. A lot of Honda engines have that 'valve clatter' noise, which is caused by the gap between the rocker arm and camshaft lobe. I honestly wouldn't worry about anything, but maybe you can check the valve adjustments if you haven't already done it.

My bike and many others I've seen sound the same as yours, unless the video didn't capture the noise very well.
The video did capture the noise fairly well but I just thought the noise might be a problem.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:28 PM

Okay, I fixed the exhaust leak noise and now everything is back to normal and hopefully better than before.

I think the noise has quieted down. Please listen and tell me if it sounds the same as your bike now.

I just connected the hose that was out of place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iULGLf4JVeM

Quick Reply: Is this noise something to be worried about?