F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Noise similar to bad cct, only when bike is tipped to the side? help

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise similar to bad cct, only when bike is tipped to the side? help

hello all, my 2002 f4i is having an issue that sounds like the marble noise of a bad cct, but only when the bike is tipped to the side. it already has an ape manual cct in it, i took it out, the tip looks like it did brand new, i put it back in and adjusted it, no matter where i adjust it that noise is still there only when the bike is tipped to the side. it started off really bad one night after a ride on the freeway, and it was constant, thats why i thought to take out the cct and inspect it. now it will not make the noise constantly but it still does when tipped, its confusing me. anyone experience this issue?

Old 07-24-2012, 04:44 AM

Just out of curiosity when you say tipped how far tipped over are we talking about here? hehe

Old 07-24-2012, 07:08 AM

Not far, sitting on the bike and just leaning it over on the clutch side will make the noise appear

Old 07-24-2012, 02:12 PM

Does this sound like a bad chain to anyone?

Old 07-24-2012, 03:21 PM

When u say clutCh side, do u mean clutch lever side(left side) or the side the actual clutch is on? (right side)

Old 07-26-2012, 08:04 PM

right side. brake lever side

Old 07-27-2012, 05:42 AM

It could very well be a bad timing chain. I don't know, but I suppose if it was me and I was in your position with out getting any promising replies from any one, I prob. would end up forking out money for a replacement chain. =/ And your SURE you have your manual cct set correctly? If your sure, like I say, if it was me anyways, I prob. would get another chain. The LAST thing you would ever want to happen would be that chain to skip a tooth on the timing sprockets....you wouldn't be a very happy camper to say the least. ^^ Jeez i'm really trying to rack my brain but can't seem to come up with anything remotely better than a new chain....=/ ehhhh

Old 07-27-2012, 06:27 PM

I also get a noise on my 05but its only between like 5 and 6 thousand rpm. I bout the manual cct but have not put it in yet. I'm not positive if the noise is coming from there or not. It sounds more of an suction noise not a loose chain slapping around. And it comes front the front of the bike Its driving me crazy. Any thoughts? Maybe turtle has the same issue. What's the sound like?

Old 07-27-2012, 06:28 PM

Its not real loud but I notice it

Old 07-27-2012, 08:03 PM

does it do that when you lean it when not moving? could your rear wheel be lose and moving a little when you lean tweaking the chain?
allthough that would probably happen on both sides leaning. i would have a buddy help lean it over in a level driveway.

Quick Reply: Noise similar to bad cct, only when bike is tipped to the side? help