F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Noise law check?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise law check?

So living in suburbia I know the noise laws are really strict around me, and I was just wondering if anyone knows where I can check to see if my bike is within the limits defined by the city?! I would hate to get pulled over for such a frivolous complaint but I wouldnt put it past our local PD.

I really have no idea where to check. Can I bring the bike somewhere and they can tell me? I just don't want my new shorty exhaust to cause more problems than the sound is worth.

Thanks for any help or guidance

Old 08-28-2010, 12:00 AM

best bet is to go to the PD and ask. I really wouldnt worry until something happens.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:03 AM

What state are you from and what pipe do you have? Most likely, any aftermarket pipe could get you cop trouble.

I purchased my rr that came with a two bros from a cop. I asked him about the legality of it and he said any pipe that alters the sound emissions of the vehicle is illegal. I then asked him about my pipe and he said not to worry about it, the harleys have even louder pipes. Just don't be stupid and keep it quiet on the residential streets and you'll be fine. Most of us here in California only get written up for the loud pipes on those ****ty days where cops are patrolling the canyons for illegal mods on bikes, or if you get that really rare douchy cop that wants to get you for everything.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by F4ith
What state are you from and what pipe do you have? Most likely, any aftermarket pipe could get you cop trouble..
I am from MN, so take that as it is i guess

But the pipe is a custom made one from a local guy and he had no idea if they were legal or not, but they sound great. It is a carbon fiber shorty, somewhat like a chopped Bros exhaust but with less baffling (its almost a straight pipe but with some back pressure to help the low end). I know harleys and other large bikes seems to run just straight exhaust, but I also know nothing makes a cop happier than ruining a sport biker's day by finding anything they can wrong.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:49 AM

Move to Oklahoma, we got rid of vehicle checks because we don't care about emissions... nor the safety for other drivers... I have seen the craziest things, once I saw a car that only had the frame and engine while the rest of the parts were hanging on my duct tape....

Anyways, I would just wait until someone actually pulls you over.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:25 AM

People need to remember Cops ARE NOT LAWYERS. Most cops think they are, but they arent.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:18 PM

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp

Every aftermarket exhaust is technically illegal for street use but you'd have a hard time finding a cop that would ticket you for having one. The only time they really step in is when the neighbors are complaining.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchA
People need to remember Cops ARE NOT LAWYERS. Most cops think they are, but they arent.
No, they're not. So their motto is "Arrest them all and let the court sort them out"

I'd say just have the bike inspected but usually local laws are stricter than state

Old 08-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ask the Five-0. They'll know.

If you go to the police station, I've found you can get away with asking most questions.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:28 PM

im from PA and i had no exhaust for a little on my bike... (i have a moto gp and the tip and baffle broke off??? cheap S...) but i passed a few cops and they never said a thing to me. there are harleys out there that have absolutly obnoxious exhausts where everytime they shift. a loud back fire comes with it. and they dont get a word spoken to them. just take it easy around the police station or watched areas.. and ud be fine. bikes are loud, ppl need to just deal with it!

Quick Reply: Noise law check?