F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

no gas no spark need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 11:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no gas no spark need help

SHE LIVES I REALLY NOW HOW TO GET A LADYS MOTOR RUNING

Ok so i own my bike, her name is Stephynee, it was wrecked a couple years ago and when i parked it would idle poorly like a cylinder wasnt firing if i tried to roll on the throttle it would load and bog then die, parked it for 2+ years while paying on it. Now i can fix it. I put in fresh gas and bridged the tip-over sensor, i also lost the key so its hot wired at the plug and im jumping the dead battery off my truck.

Now for the problem it turns over and all my fuses are good but there is no fire at the plugs, i cant here the fuel pump,and theres no gas running through the cylinders. I cchased all the wires through the harness and dont seem to be getting any power at all except to the starter and tail lights(headlights not installed) and a single pin on the input side of the cpu plug. I have tried to start W and w/out my power commander hooked in. It also looks like one of the post's on the grounding rale is burnt, its a cornerpost. I also get lighting response from the power comander when i turn on the switch. The FI light does not turn on even though im not getting fuel

Now the questions
1) does anyone belive this could be caused by anything other than a junk cpu
2) i ordered a new cpu, but is it likely that my power commander fried the orriginal, and if so is it safe to hook it up to the new cpu
3 are there any plugs that may have rattled lose in the crash that would cause similar problems
4 does anyone recomend after market velocity stacks

Ps when the bike wrecked it took the force going down a dirt bank on its frot and left side didnt break the crankcase or guages but ripped off the frnt fairing stay brackets

Completed mods ( DIY)
errion racing exhuast (4.5inches cut off )
Frame slider
Undertail kit
K&N air and oil filters
Ground the stock clip-ons to allow wider bar stance
Mods to be done
All new fairing set
Chromed out hid headlight
New grips
Hidden directionals inside air intake tubes
Pig spotter mirrors w LED directionals
Tail sliders
Axle sliders
Chrome bar ends
Carbon fiber levers
Aluminum dowl pegs
Shift/footbreak levers
Custom vynil graphics

Last edited by LT.Dan603; 03-30-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:53 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I remember correctly (I don't own an F4i), the headlight has to be connected for the
bike to run. Try that first, see if it gets you a little closer to the road.

Ern

Old 03-25-2012, 08:36 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

^ern is right.
The headlight need to be connected for it to start.
Secondly on my 929(f4i may be similar) there is a resistor in the ignition switch the steps down the voltage to the ecu. It needs to see the drop to for it to start as well.

Last edited by 74demon; 03-25-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:50 AM

Thanks for the direction im gonna get a key cut and give her a try any thoughts on why it was dieing on accelleration

Old 03-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Thumbs down

ok so i got a key cut and the fuel pump primed ( it dosnt prime every time i turn the key though, its random) also i plugged in the headlight bulbs and ghetto mounted my tip sensor( i tried starting with it bypassed and without) i put starter fluid down the stacks and it didnt even fire over once. also hooked up a brand new battery. i pulled the plug on the far right cylinder( i think it would be#4) and no spark i cleaned all the conections with electronis cleaner and made sure everything was tightly fit. tried starting w and w-out my dyno jet. im at a loss here im not sure what to try next i checked my cpu with a light tester and i am geting power from a solid pink line in(dim) and a black wire (brighter) but doesnt seem to be firing at all my fi light did come on once after tryin to start it was solid red im not sure if that means anything though. i really cant afford a shop visit right now any ideas would be greatly appreciated. also feel free to ask any questions you might think up no matter how trivial they seem. this bike has been parked in a garage (unheated for 2+years)also it looks like someone tried to break into the tank and the key lock wont work does anyone know how to get it out. i put fresh gas in the tank through the fuel return line but that wont work forevr

thanks guys at this point i really wanna myself or the bike, havent set on which one would be more helpfull yet though

Old 03-28-2012, 05:23 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

do you have fuel injector pulse?

is the pulse generator in good shape and connected? it's the 2 wires that come out of the right side by the clutch cable.

do you have power at the coil connectors?

do you have power at the injector connectors?

are all your grounds clean, tight, and connected? (the injectors should have community power and pulsing ground signal) bad ground=no pulse=no fuel=no starteee

Old 03-28-2012, 05:30 PM

the clutch lever was all but snapped off in the wreck so i im not sure the pulse generator might be shot i will check now

Old 03-30-2012, 12:55 AM

Cleaned the kick stand sensor out and now it primes consistently no power at coil connections pulling the airbox tommorro. Also having trouble finding the thread with the links for online manuels.last note shortly after purchasing the bike years ago i had a prob with loss of power when accelerating brought it back to the shop where i bought it and they said one of my plugs was loose and that they just tightened it up they said it was common issue but i forgot which plug any ideas .. this could be part o the prob

Old 03-30-2012, 01:03 AM

I call BS on the headlight needing to be connected. The sub harness does for the simple fact it has the Bank sencer. (i have a naked bike i'm working on and know this for a fact)

The no spark could be several things.

also check your clutch safty.
just your bank sencer, it maybe faulty, telling the bike its on its side.
check each stick coil, just because ONE isnt firing doesn't mean there all not. i had ONE stick coil go bad, 2 good, and the 3rd fire half the time...

and another issue, your iginition is Hotwired, may have it powering on, but not working properly. get a good key and that may solve your issues.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:20 AM

No longer hot wired

Quick Reply: no gas no spark need help