F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

No drill frame sliders.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: No drill frame sliders.

If those mounts are hardened, then there should be no way they will bend at all if you dump your bike, depending on how hard you hit. My guess is if you hit hard enough to bend a hardened mount like that, your plastic will be the least of your worries.

Old 10-14-2006, 12:50 AM

Hardening has absolutely nothing to do with how much the part will deflect under load. Hardening only makes for a higher yield point of the material, and makes it more likely to break if it is bent.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:50 PM

how easy is it to drill the farrings to install them.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:19 PM

I think if you follow one of the methods described in other threads on this site, and are relatively good at handling tools, it's not a hard job at all. Lots of people have done it with good results. Just be really careful, and take your time.

I used the tool from OEM accessories, and it came out fine. I also trimmed the holes with grommets to make it look even better.

Old 10-19-2006, 03:36 AM

Woogie, very nice clean job. Looks Great.

Could you post a link for that tool as well as the grommets?

Thanks

Old 10-19-2006, 12:49 PM

The tool is here: OESAccessories The tool sells for $5 and is in the middle of the page on the right hand side. If you use this tool, be careful. It makes a mark on your fairings when you push the fairing against it. When you do this, the fairing moves a little bit, and the hole won't be exactly in the center. So, what I did was make the mark per the instructions, take the fairing off, drill a small hole (like 1/8"), then put the fairing back on to check that the hole lined up exactly with the point of the tool. On mine it didn't, so I took the fairing back off, "walked" the hole over with the drill and a file, put the fairing back on to re-check, etc. Only when I got it right did I hit it with the 2" hole saw. Took a while, but if you are picky like me, it's worth it.

For the grommets, I searched for days to find them. I ended up having to buy a bag of them (something like 25 of them). If you want, I'll sell you some for what I paid + shipping. Probably something like $10 for 4 of them including shipping. I say 4 because I figure you will want some spares.....

Old 10-19-2006, 12:58 PM

Oh, yeah, and put tape down (I used that blue painters masking tape) all around the site where you will be drilling with the hole saw. It will protect you from small mistakes....

Old 10-19-2006, 03:48 PM

Hello lots of good info here. Just wanted to know what you all thought about extended frame sliders from a company called Freestyle Ingenuity? Also have any of you heard of Spring Loaded sliders, if so any good or crap?

Thanks

Old 10-19-2006, 04:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd just go standard...extended ones will give the engine bolt more stress/leverage (torque from ground) to pull the bolt out.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:21 AM

So just stick with the standard ones? I notice a lot of you were talking about Vortex. Are they the best to go with?

TOPGUN

Quick Reply: No drill frame sliders.