F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

This Newbie went Clutchless

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 09:08 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This Newbie went Clutchless

I finally did the clutchless up-shift thing, it seemed very smooth from 2-3, 3-4, 4-5. The 1 to 2 upshift felt rougher (because of neutral???)and I don't think I was going fast enough (for easy rev matching) for the 5 to 6 for that to happen at all without the clutch.

I'm going to assume that all went well and that it isn't too rough on the tranny. Should I just avoid the clutchless 1 to 2 or am I just doing it wrong. Should I avoid the whole clutchless shifting thing altogether? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Default RE: This Newbie went Clutchless

I thought you weren't supposed to go clutchless from 1-2?

Old 12-28-2005, 11:04 AM
Retired Mod

i personally use the clutch every time i upshift or downshift. always have. i do not know the long term effects of speed shifting but i know that using the clutch doesn't hurt the tranny over time. and that's enough reason for me.

Old 12-28-2005, 01:46 PM
Fox
Banned

It's prob. good practice to learn how to clutch-less shift. I remember at MSF, they talked about it for five or ten minutes. I guess given the example where you drop the bike and the clutch lever is fractured or otherwise not useable, then you'll have no other choice but to clutch-less shift. I personally use the clutch because it's probably better for all the internals.

Old 12-29-2005, 01:01 AM

I would assume it's a good way to wreck the bike. I did go down and broke my clutch lever about 10 miles from home. It wasn't too bad of a ride. Luckily I was able to not get caught in much traffic, so I only had to shift a few times, just got it to 4th and cruised all the way home. Had to downshift to second once or twice, back up to 4th, and I was home free.

Look at my scratched up cover too

Old 12-29-2005, 08:13 AM

Clutchless shifting will hurt the tranny over time, even though the transmission is sequential it is not a true "dog box." Therefore you should use the clutch and only go clutchless when racing or doing some stunt. 1st to 2nd will do the most harm.

Old 12-29-2005, 09:56 PM

wow i can't beleive somsone would do that to their bike do costly trans repairs sound like fun to you ? if you didnt need to use your clutch honda would not have put that lever there in front of your left hand. yes racing/ stunts/ just dont give a **** about your bike have at it dont even use the brakes to slow down just drop the bike but if you care for your bike at all for the love of god use your clutch and yes 1-2 is long so that is where the most damage will occur and since the engine and trans is one assembled unit when you break your trans some hack at a local bike garrage will have to take apart your engine to get to your trans do your really want some jack *** taking apart something that you sit on and spins to 12000 rpms use the clutch !

Old 12-29-2005, 10:32 PM

only time i go clutchless upshift is at the track. cuts time a little bit (for me at least). never 1st to 2nd though.
good luck with it.

Old 12-30-2005, 09:25 AM
Banned

Thanks to everyone that replied and I will definitely take your advice. Happy New Year to all.

Old 12-30-2005, 11:22 AM
Muz

I agree with the only use clutchless when racing and don't use it for 1st to 2nd

Quick Reply: This Newbie went Clutchless