F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Newbie Riding Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 02:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Riding Question

Wassup everybody! I'm a new owner of a 2002 F4i and a first rider also. I haven't been able to get in the MSF class yet, so I'm just riding around my neighborhood with my permit. I have a couple questions for you all.

1. When I'm riding and I let go of the clutch and the throttle, I notice the bike starts so slow down a lot faster, why doesn't it coast? I notice if I hold the clutch and let go of the throttle, then the bike coasts like its in neutral. Am I supposed to hold the clutch to coast?

2. How can I get a smooth takeoff in first gear. I'm not comfortable at turning left into traffic.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:11 AM
Retired Moderator
Default RE: Newbie Riding Question

What you're are experiencing is called "engine braking". The engine compression is slowing down the bike. When you have the clutch engaged, there is no power the the back wheel, and it will coast.

You just have to ride and get used to the bike for smooth take offs...turns will get better as well. Give it time, and you will be fine. Get to that class as soon as you can!!!

Old 04-24-2007, 03:18 AM
Mad

I would go to a empty parking lot and practice your turns. That is what I did...

Old 04-24-2007, 03:19 AM

congrats on the new ride, i will have mine by the end of the week(hopefully). They will teach you all that in the class, take it asap, you will learn alot, atleast i did. Make sure you get all your gear as well.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

let the clutch out till the bike pulls then give it a lil gas and it will take off slow just a wee bit of gas, then put your foot on the back peg and stand that bitch up!

Old 04-24-2007, 04:15 AM

ur gonna have to get used to ur bike smooth takeoffs will come wth time, and yea everyone else pretty much covered engine braking

Old 04-24-2007, 06:20 AM

with the clutch out the wheel is connected to the motor is it will slow down. when you pull the clutch in its like releasing it so the wheels spin freely. also for turning left you need to use your left hand and hold the clutch while gassing, and let the clutch out slowly and maybe hold it throug the turn. i had the same problems. you just need to learn how to get into first gear good then everythign else is cake. im a newbie just started last month. you need to take MSF, asap, and get frame sliders

Old 04-24-2007, 02:23 PM

Something that helped when I was teaching my buddy is go to a parking lot and practice bassically walking the bike in first, youll probably stall a couple times but after a while you should be able to put it into first gear with almost no hassle or jerkiness.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:08 PM
IDL

The best thing would probably be to learn on a car first cause it's much more forgiving if you make a mistake.
But if that isn't an option just make sure to keep the revs fairly low and be careful!

Old 04-24-2007, 06:14 PM

to get used to clutch control, try starting out without using the gas. u can let the clutch out slowly and the bike will start to creep on its own. once u get that down u will be able to throttle up and go. good luck. ride safe.

Quick Reply: Newbie Riding Question