F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Newb to the Forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb to the Forum

Hey all, I was doing some googling and came across this forum.

Here are two pics of my 2002 Honda F4i

Me and my F4i
Name:  jakebike4.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  61.5 KB

My F4i next to my DRZ I just sold
Name:  DSCF0189.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  152.4 KB

I am pretty much looking for some upgrades.. Im not sure where to start.

The bike already has, Two Bro's Exhaust and a Power Commander.

The bike will be seeing the Track at least once a month some times twice a month. She is also my Daily Driver.

I plan on upgrading the rear sets to Woodcraft, would yall suggest any others?

My suspension is stock, and luckily we have a suspension guy who comes out to our local track days and will set it up for $30. I will be getting it set up on the coming up TD.

Im also looking at the GPR stabilizer..

If yall have any input or suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-13-2012, 04:03 PM

the guy I bought my bike from had a corbin seat on it that he kept when he sold hte bike. It was pretty nice. seems like it might be the better choice for any longer rides. The stock seat is a little rough after you are on the bike more then 30 min. Its not that bad, but it isnt the best either.

nice bike tho. Be safe out there!

Last edited by 0949er; 05-13-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:23 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
Good luck with your mods and track days. IMO, setting up the suspention and tires are first thing to pay attention to for the track. By your picture, you look like a big guy. Are you still running stock springs? They are set up oe for a 140 rider, or something like that. You may want to look into heavier ones and some good valving to enhance the handling. Get some sticky track tires for track days. Cant have too much grip there. Maybe get an extra wheel set for commuting.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:55 PM

OES frame sliders

Old 05-13-2012, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
Welcome to the forum.
Good luck with your mods and track days. IMO, setting up the suspention and tires are first thing to pay attention to for the track. By your picture, you look like a big guy. Are you still running stock springs? They are set up oe for a 140 rider, or something like that. You may want to look into heavier ones and some good valving to enhance the handling. Get some sticky track tires for track days. Cant have too much grip there. Maybe get an extra wheel set for commuting.
Good stuff about the suspension, what brand is good?

Yes I am a big guy, 6'1 and big bones lol. My budget is around a grand.

I'm running BT016's, I'm only going to he in level 1/novice classes. I don't think ill out rude the bridgestones.

Thanks for the info.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

Nice lookin' F4i you got there.

If you are going to hitting the track that much, I'd recommend that you invest in some track plastics & maybe even a track tank, especially since its going to be your daily-driver. I've seen guys come to the track in the same situation as you & after a lowside/etc, end up having to leave their bike in the garage for a few weeks til they can get new fairings/lights/etc. If you don't want to spend for track-specific plastics, a spare set of factory plastics would work well also.

YES, def let the suspension guy set it up for you & your riding style. This is one of the most important aspects for both street & track. (Many of us here use Racetech components but there are other quality suppliers as well.)

Also, w/ your height, you'll def want to get some stomp-grip on your tank to prevent you from coming off & going over the top. You can buy ready-made stomp-grip from places like CycleGear or you can make your own from rubber stair strips/sheets or the like.

Regarding rearsets... You'll need to raise you feet up some to get low in the corners. The way to do this on the F4i is to raise up those sets. There's no need to buy new sets just for this... You can buy 'rearset-risers' to raise your sets up at least an inch. An inch makes a huge dif on the track. Scraping a peg when you're cookin' around a turn unsettles the bike (& your composure too). The rearset risers will help alleviate that. Of course, if you really want to purchase fully adjustable reasets $$$ (woodcraft & the like), that's always an option.

Good brakes are major consideration. The oem F4i system is sufficient for track days. However, I recommend quality brake pads (I use oem Honda). Also, be sure to check your brake lines. Your oem lines are several yrs old now. You can replace w/ oem lines or upgrade to stainless steel lines. Having good newer lines is def important tho if you're going to track (not to mention everyday riding).

That's a good start. Hope that gives you some ideas.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:01 AM

Thanks Got,

I will definatly look into the risers if it can save me some money then Ill possibly be able to afford some track plastics.

My front brakes I have Brembo Racing 19RCS Radial Brake Master Cylinder with EBC pads. Rear is stock with EBC pads. I also have SS brake lines.

Ill look into racetech, is it just a spring or the whole shock?

Old 05-14-2012, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by JAYGEE
Thanks Got,

I will definatly look into the risers if it can save me some money then Ill possibly be able to afford some track plastics.

My front brakes I have Brembo Racing 19RCS Radial Brake Master Cylinder with EBC pads. Rear is stock with EBC pads. I also have SS brake lines.

Ill look into racetech, is it just a spring or the whole shock?
Sure, glad to help.

Nice brake setup you have. Should serve you really well.

Race Tech Suspension components. Give 'em a call. They can help w/ suggestions & help you figure out what you need to do. You can do the work yourself or send your forks to them to do the work.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:17 PM

Update, sorry I have been gone so long. Work keeps me busy as heck. This time of year we are busy as hell...

I wound up on getting a great deal on some woodcraft rearsets and some track plastics.

Is there any special tricks to drilling the plastics and making sure its done right the first time??

I have done 1 trackday since but didnt have the new stuff on yet.

Here are 2 pics from the last TD

Name:  msrh1.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  41.0 KB
Name:  msrh2.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  46.4 KB

Old 06-04-2012, 02:55 AM

...Is there any special tricks to drilling the plastics and making sure its done right the first time??
Yes, measure twice - cut/drill once. ;-)

I have done 1 trackday since but didnt have the new stuff on yet. Here are 2 pics from the last TD...
Good pics. Are you really a tall guy or are the pics deceiving?

Quick Reply: Newb to the Forum