F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New USB Socket oorah!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New USB Socket oorah!

Thought I'd just share a little somthing with you touring peeps!

Going on a 14day trip in a few weeks, with my tent and sleepingbag. And since i wont be around a power outlet every day i figured i might as well charge my phone and helmet intercom on the bike.

I bought a waterproof usb socket+wire fromhttp://3brpowersports.com/, and so far its worked pretty good. I live in Denmark so it had to be shipped from the states, which wasnt any big issude tho. I figure ill just use it when its not raining, plug in my iphone charger cable and run it under the tankbag and the phone can stay under the transperant plastic.
Check it:

I looked for other places to fit it, but right there it doesnt get in the way of anything, its easy to get to, and i prolly wont even notice it when its not touring season

/Danish F4i

Last edited by DanishF3; 06-26-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:47 PM

i actually like that spot better than the ram air covers or anywhere else ive seen them. Id probably put mine in the tail somewhere if i could but otherwise that spot seems like the next best thing. Looks real clean and almost unnoticeable, nice work man, have fun on that trip.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:20 AM

man, i've never seen one of those. I like that. Seems super easy to install as well. Where did you run your wire? under the tank?

Old 06-27-2011, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by pittsm
man, i've never seen one of those. I like that. Seems super easy to install as well. Where did you run your wire? under the tank?
Yeah, it was pretty straightforward, i had to take off the leftside fairing and the ram air cover to get the wires to run under the tank and to the battery.
For mounting the socket i took off the small bolts forwards on the tank and released the big ones aft, then i put the wire under the forward mounting where it could just about fit. If you do it the same way, make sure that the wire can move a little even after you tighten the bolts, or else you might tear the plastic slowly. Hell, that might even happen anyways

Will post you pics when i get my top-box mounted!

Old 06-27-2011, 08:23 AM

Oh yeah, and for the record, those big soft foam grips may look like theyre comfortable on long trips, theyre not. Not even on small trips unless you have extremely large hands, in which case youre better off on a blackbird. Long story short: They suck!

Old 06-27-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by DanishF3
Oh yeah, and for the record, those big soft foam grips may look like theyre comfortable on long trips, theyre not. Not even on small trips unless you have extremely large hands, in which case youre better off on a blackbird. Long story short: They suck!
heh, didn't even notice your huffy grips. lol

Old 06-27-2011, 09:22 AM

Haha, that's funny, I had those on my old ninja (previous owner installed them). I hated them, I really don't understand the point of having them, they were uncomfortable and not very grippy.

USB cable install looks great though, hope it works out well. Would be a great way to keep the phone charged while using GPS on long trips.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by DammitMike
I hated them, I really don't understand the point of having them, they were uncomfortable and not very grippy.
Well I've been experiencing numbness in the area from my littlefinger to my wrist on my right hand, when cruising for more than half an hour. Its no biggie, i just shake my hand a few times and the blood comes back.

My buddy got so tired of hearing me complain that he bought these for me, suppose he figured they'd be better, but its actually worse! Since the clutch handle is so big, you have use your thumb to hold against when pulling the clutch-lever. Last trip i was changing gears without the clutch the most of the trip home They're in the bin now, and the standards are back on, might consider getting a couple of CBR handles, anyone tried those?

Old 06-27-2011, 11:45 AM

Btw, Mike, i see you managed to get both your xenons to shine at the same time, do they both work as high beam as well?

Old 06-27-2011, 11:51 AM

Btw, Mike, i see you managed to get both your xenons to shine at the same time, do they both work as high beam as well?
The picture in my signature is with the high beam on. If I turn off the high beam, then only the low beam on the clutch side remains on. The HID kit is from ddmtuning.com

Quick Reply: New USB Socket oorah!