F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

new rider, first bike??

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new rider, first bike??

hey guys, im new to the forum and new to streetbike riding, i do not own a bike yet but hopefully i will join in with the honda riders soon!!, i have been doing alot of research and talking to riders. my plan is to take the MSF this aprill and hopefully but july i will have found my first bike to ride this summer.

some history on me, i have never been on a sportbike, i have riden a few dirtbikes over 125cc but nothing impressive. i have been in love with sportbikes since the first time i watched one pass on the road and heard the sound of the high revs. i have started talking about owning one around the age of 15 and my parents always turned it down, i am now 18 turning 19 this aprill and have finally convinced my parents to let me get a bike! i have no accidents or driving record problems, i do tend to take things to the extreme when i get into them and take it very serious. i plan to ride very safe and stay with in my beginner limits on my bike.

so everyones telling me to get the 2008 ninja 250r for a beginner, and then the people that know me say i will outgrow that bike in a month. i personally agree and would like something a little more in the middle such as a CBR 600RR or F4i. im able to spend 4500 as a limit.

what is everyones opinion on this situation?

Old 12-25-2007, 10:44 PM
Default RE: new rider, first bike??

Start small and work your way up. Unless you're a large fella! I've seen it happen a couple times, people biting off more than they can chew. Don't underestimate and think it through. A 600 RR is a lot of bike for someone that has never ridden one before, but best of luck, stay safe and have fun.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:46 PM

The 250 is a good starter bike if you have never ridden a sportbike before, but your friends are right. You will outgrow a 250 quickly. You can get a 600 and be fine. With great power comes great responsibility. Correct and responsible decisions with your riding and you will have no problems. Defensive driving and not showboating will keep you alive. I have a friend who got a 1000 for his first bike and I have trained him and taught him the motorcycle safety about riding, and he is doing fine. For your first bike, I recommend you look at getting a used sportbike because you will probably lay it down and better be done on a used bike and not a brand new one.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:29 AM

Suzuki Katana 600. It is where I started and I think that is the best all around starter bike for someone looking to get into the Sportbike world when they have had a little dirt bike experiance. It is a very forgiving platform. Parts are cheap, they are reliable and simple. They have enough power to do what you need. I put over 12k on mine this year. I just switched over to an F4i. My good buddy went out an bought a 600RR for his first bike. He has always been a VERY good rider, and even he says it would have been better for him to start out on something like a Katana. Take a look around, you can get one cheap, that way you don't need to be so worried when you put it over or drop it or something.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:35 AM

dude... get an F4i.. getting a little ninja 250 is most likely the smartest thing to do saftey wise but if you are 18 you will catch on pretty quick.... my first streetbike at 16 years old was 900cc Triumph Triple that wieghed 470 pounds! yes, i droped it a few times but i cought on quick and i still have the bike because i like it so much!

The F4i has a power band that is very tame.. untill you get it past 7 thousand... LOL.. then the beast comes out.. but it will never suprise you which the 1000's have a tendancy to do..

and F4i is a great starter bike and the bike will be able to acomidate your skill level for a long time.. dont listin to anybody else.. cause if you get a little 250 or what ever the hell they are, your going to get passed on the freeway by an F4i and your gonna wish you got a 600..

be carefull out there! and if you dont know much about bikes.. buy it from a dealer..

NOT craigslist.. alot of people lie about problems the bike has and what not..

but if you know what to look for, craigslist is your best friend!

Old 12-26-2007, 01:03 AM

thanks guys, i do however catch onto things such as this very quick and am not worried about starting on a bigger bike so i will take your advice and get the F4i. as far as the price tho, im going to need to get one used. is there a way i can maybe find a rider near by on this forum that wouldint mind checkin out bikes with me, or maybe someone knows someone thats sellin a good bike?

im learning as much as i can but i can only learn so fast, and im hopeing to get my bike in july like i said.

im in MI near Ann Arbor

Old 12-26-2007, 04:20 AM

I was in the same boat as you were. My friends and I came back from biketoberfest 07, Daytona Fl. And after that I wanted a bike. So asked around, talked to the dealership and talked to my friens who owns bike. I have never ridden a bike before, but I have been a passenger on a bike. So I am very n00b. I have the money, but convincing my parents was one of the harder parts. I slowly begin my plan to get a bike. First I took the MSF course, in Nov, then I looked online for the bike. I found an 06 blue F4i on ebay, for the price that I wanted. I won the bid and went to pick up my bike. All this happen within a 1 month and half, I just got my jacket and helmet last week. I've been riding around the neighborhood, gettin used to the bike and everything.

What everyone else is saying is true too, you don't want to start out 250cc cause you'll eventuallly outgrow it. then you'll want to buy bigger bike, and spend more money. So get a midrange 500-600cc bike, and respect the bike while you are learning.

I'm sorry to say, but you will be spending past your budget. I'm not trying to scare you or anything, Here's my break down.

price of the bike plus tax ( i had to pay out of state taxes, for both states) I bought the bike from Florida, so i paided FL tax and AR tax. , I picked it up from FL and I live in AR, so i had to take the hit on gas and trailer rental and everything. 18 hours drive.
Insurance ($300-$400)
Tags and licenses registartion ($15-$45)
Jacket and helmet ($250)
MSF riding course fee ($125)
After market modds ($100)

I'm trying to scare you. Just let's letting you know the other obstacle ahead. But in the end i'm happy with my first bike, I can't wait till spring to ride it.Oh, pay in cash, you'll have more leverage when haggling with your buyer. and check ebay, you can find good deals on jackets, and stuff youll need. I hope this helps on your journey towards your first bike!! and ask lots of questions!!
[/align]

Old 12-26-2007, 06:45 AM
Banned

You have experience with gear/clutch and the mechanics of that. I'd say if it weren't for that bit of experience on a dirtbike, a RR or F4i would be too much for you. Whatever you buy, buy used, get sliders and gear too, maybe look at some of the older F-bikes, they are heavier, have less power, still great bikes, better for noobs since chances are you will crash it (like many of us) and parts are available.

Just remember how expensive fairings are. They are stupid expensive. Consider something naked maybe (SV650) for a while. My next bike isn't gonna be fully faired (speed triple, brutale910).

Good luck.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:45 AM

thanks guys, appreciate all the help, first thing... i probly wont be able to buy the bike in cash being that right now i dont have a job and im behind in my car payment, second what is a fairing? i hear so much talk about them breaking and i have not found out what it is yet..

Old 12-26-2007, 10:52 AM

It is the giant plastic cover parts on the bike that make up the "body"

Quick Reply: new rider, first bike??