F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New Rider

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rider

Hi,

I'm new and this seems like a cool forum. I'm about to take the MSF course and I was hoping if you guys could give some opinions for a first bike. I know that this question is probably asked alot but I need some opinions.

I'm leaning towards a used cbr f4i since they seem to be affordable. I'm going to use the bike to go to work ( both local and freeways) and sometimes a group tour with some co-workers on the weekends. I originally thought of a ninja 250 but I think that is too small. I also want a bike that looks nice not somehting my dad would ride on.

Is the F4i too much for a first bike? What about a used honda VFR? I want to stay with a Honda brand bike if possible.

Thanks.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Rider

F4i's are a very reasonable priced bike....but it depends on when you buy one (i.e. summer or winter). It also depends on who you are buying it from as well as the state.

not to familar with the VFR however don't by a bike based on looks...you have to feel comfortable on it too!

Old 05-04-2008, 03:40 PM

If your going to use it mainly for commuting and a little group riding on the weekends than a Ninja 250 would be fine. Do you have any experience riding at all? The F4i could be a little much for someone to handle who has never ridden before.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:02 PM

Vegas sometimes does get very windy. I forgot who mentioned this to me but he said that a ninja 250 might be too light to use on the highway when there are crosswinds and not to follow 18 wheeler trucks, that's my main concern. I don't have experience with riding bikes.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Banned

What type of riding will you be doing? What type of roads? Distance? That along with skill level should help you choose a first bike. I think a VFR is too much for sure and probably a F4i is too.

Really the best choice is to get something cheap, put a few thousand miles on it, then you will be able to know what you want from a bike and what you want it to do for you, plus you will probably drop/crash it a little so you don't want to spend $$$$ fixing fairings. Fully faired bikes are f**king delicate. Bikes are so specialized now, that before you pick out a bike, you need to know its application.

Have you looked into insurance? There are a hundred threads about how people freak out when they find out howmuch it is to insurethe sportbike they just bought. I have heard premiums of upwards of $2000/year. Crazy.

Good luck on your choice, bike shopping is fun, paying for it sucks, but the shopping part is awesome.

edit: Vegas? straight lines and distance...get a small cruiser.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:55 PM

The F4i is FINE for a first bike. It is my first bike and ive had it for a year now, before that i rode a 4 wheeler a few times and a little tiny dirtbike back in the day like twice and that was it. I hopped on that thing and went, real easy to catch onto, just be extra careful with your right hand especially in first and second gear bc if you hit it you take off and you gotta be ready for it.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:01 PM

Sounds like you know some people with bikes, hopefully one of them if not more are good enough friends to let you take them for a ride. I just bought an f4i as my first bike and it's super comfortable and the smooth acceleration is great (because of the fuel injection). I've never even riden on a 250, you just have to understand what is beneath you. If you have some will power and can control your right hand you will be fine on a 600.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:40 PM

exactly what the last two comments said, as long as you have a little bit of control you'll be fine on an f4i. Just don't crank it wide open when you first get it and you'll be fine. Mine is my first bike, and I've had it for about 2 months now. The first time I took it out, I was scared as hell. However, I had no problems at all, it was amazingly natural, and the bike just kind of did what I wanted it to do. I wanted to turn, and it just kind of did it. The 250 would be fine for now, but when you get more comfortable, you'll hate it. I have heard that from so many people. I almost bought a 250, but I have 3 friends that did that. All of them said that they wanted to throw it off a bridge after 3 months because it had no power when they wanted it. The f4i has power for you when you need it, but doesn't give it to you unless you ask for it.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:55 PM

^ Yep, the f4i is a super easy bike to ride. A great mix between sport and comfort. For those hardcore riders an f4i won't cut it (600rr will though). The performance of the two isn't night and day.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:59 PM

I was in the EXACT position as you. I was lined up to take the canadian msf course and I was looking for a bike. I put a deposit on a new ninja 250 but at the last minute backed out to look for something bigger. Found my dream bike, an f4i, and had it sit in my garage for a couple weeks. I went to the course with zero experience, was at the top of the class and graduated with ease. I was so glad i did not get a 250 because i was tired of them by the end of my course, I hopped on my f4i, and it is such an easy bike to ride.Lots of power but so controlable. Keep a close watch on the used market and if you see one in your price range, and you like it, buy it. 100% recommended.

Quick Reply: New Rider