just started riding and need advice on turning. LEANING

Old 05-01-2007, 03:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: new rider

track day!

Old 05-01-2007, 03:15 AM

The best way is to start out slow in your learning curve. I take corners in 1st or 2nd gear with high rpms. Like 10-12K, you need the speed to take them at lower leans. It takes practice and lots of it.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:45 AM

cant believe no one has said this yet...

TAKE THE MSF

you will learn alot, and it may save your life

Old 05-01-2007, 04:57 AM

[hr][hr]TAKE THE MSF COURSE, IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT COUNTERSTEER MEANS, YOU SHOULDNT BE ON A BIKE!

Old 05-01-2007, 04:59 AM

https://cbrforum.com/m_286811/tm.htm

read this, take the class, learn to ride, survive

Old 05-01-2007, 10:43 AM

MSF course...all the way!!!! I just passed it and came out much more confident.

On turning...brake to your turning speed before the turn. Then steady on the throttle through the turn and look to where you want to go. Your bike will follow...trust me.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Stephens

The best way is to start out slow in your learning curve. I take corners in 1st or 2nd gear with high rpms. Like 10-12K, you need the speed to take them at lower leans. It takes practice and lots of it.
in my opinion... i think this is a very bad idea especially for beginners to be in such high RPM on a lean. I know what you mean when you say stay in 1st or 2nd gear because you can't go too fast in those gears... but I'd rather you be going 40 on 4th gear in the low RPM's than being in 1st in 8000+ RPM.

I know several riders who have had bad experiences on a lean during high RPMs. Just think about it... being a beginner... pulled the throttle just a little or letting it go is gonna make the bike either jump forward or lose speed faster than tapping the brakes. That's very bad on a lean.

Go into the turns slow... then accelerate as you go through it slowly. If you start moving to the outside and you're leaning as far as your skill takes you, let go the throttle slowly and you'll turn in. If you go in too fast and you start leaning, you can't exactly hit the brakes too hard or you'll crash, and you can't speed up.

take things slow.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Banned

I agree with ddaren.

High revs keep you in the powerbandbut also accentuates engine compression braking, lower gears multiply this. If you chicken out during the turn with this situation you will stand the bike up and maybe run off the road.

You need to accelerate gradually (or not so gradually)in the turn, keeping your center of gravity slightly rearward. If you chop the throttle mid turn with high revs you will shift the weight to the front wheel and unload the rear, that can be bad.

Don't worry about leaning, chicken strips, knees dragging, hanging off and all that BS on the street for now. If you are a new rider, just make it home in one piece and leave the Rossi crap for the track.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

If you are a new rider, just make it home in one piece and leave the Rossi crap for the track.

Best advise I ever heard......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new rider