F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New guy needs help. Fuel or engine problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Member MK2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy needs help. Fuel or engine problem?

Hey everyone my name is Anthony I'm 25, Have came close to going down on hwy 129 on the tail, I have a 02 F4i that I bought used from a dealer. It had 15k on the clock and seemed to be in good condition. Anyway to make a long story short the bike has 20k on it now and I've owned it for 5 years. I don't ride it much anymore cause I miss the twistys and don't like the straights. I just moved to the Palm Springs CA area... The only twistys around is hwy 74.

Now for the question...
I have had the bike parked since last Augest the tank was on reserve when I parked it (I know dumb move)

I posted this on a jeep forum that I'm on so this is a copy n paste...

negative on the fresh fuel, it was on reserve when i parked it in the garage last augest, drove it around the blocks a couple weeks ago for the battery then around the block a couple times the other day, then it started supttering in first (rez. light still showing 4 blocks which means the rez. just came on which is normal) then when i would come up to stop signs it would bog out like it was having fuel problems. Took it back to the house parked it grabbed a gas can and went to fill it up, came back poured in about 3gals to the tank, drove it around rez. light went off engine running fine but still seems to be dieing out like the battery is going dead, so I go park it for the night with the battery tender on it. The next morning I drove it down to AAA to get it registered, the whole way down there it felt like the bike wasnt getting gas mind you it still had about 3gals, got it down to AAA got it registered, left the bike there, went to get a battery for it cause I still thought it was the battery, drove the bike home from AAA after we got the battery, put it in, engine running fine still but seemed like it wasnt getting gas ok so now Im like WTF M8 look in the tank and I can still see plenty of gas, so I get it running and start messing with the idle and reving the bike out trying to blow out whatever is in the line. Then after about 7 high revs the exhaust started smoking white smoke so Im thinking to myself ok cool Im getting some **** out that was clogged in a line... turned it off jumped in the pool cause by now it was 500* outside. Then I asked my woman if she wanted to go for a ride with the neighbor, well this is where the BULL **** starts to happen!!!! Start the bike up, start drivin down the road, bikes smokin white still not bad but just a little... but the bike is seeming not to get gas still and trying to stall out and the throttle had no damn pick up what so ever, getting up to 50mph was a struggle! So Im thinking ok were good it just needs to blow of the line more were good and keep driving to Palm Desert... smokes getting worse and worse the further we get, get to the 76 on 111 and San Lus Rey cause the Reserve light came on and Im thinking to my self what the F*** is going on now cause there was at least 2 1/2 gals in the tank! Fill up the tank, try to start it up, wouldnt do ****! Then Meagan says "look its leaking oil looking stuff out of the bottom of the exhaust!" So I check the oil level and son of a bitch! it has gas in it!!! Called a tow truck, got it home, parked it for the night. Next day which was yesterday, I started taking it apart, pulled the plastics, got the tank off, airbox/ram air off, coils, valve cover, spark plugs, fuel pressure regulater and stopped. The bike has 20k miles on it just a FYI that I probably should have said earlier. Anyway, the plugs looks like it wouldnt hurt to change them out. but then I twisted the throttle and looked in the throttle body and #2 was full of gas... so now I think I have a injector thats stuck open just dumping gas faster then it can get rid of but how the hell is it getting into the oil too? As for compression it sounds like has it... any ideas?

Thanks for reading!

Old 06-09-2010, 09:32 PM

research about your gasket. i read somewhere where your gasket can cause that. it may have a leak or something. im not positive if it was the gasket tho.

Last edited by prowheelie92; 06-09-2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Old 06-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Member MK2

Thanks for the link. I'm going to order a fuel pressure regulator and some new plugs then change the oil and see what happens before I break the bank and take it to a shop. If that doesn't help then Im out of ideas... I wanna replace everything that needs to be changed while the bike is apart cause it's a chore taking everything off, but it's gonna be even more fun putting it back together...

Old 06-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Member MK2

Forgot to ask what a good website is to order parts for this thing is?

Old 06-12-2010, 09:42 AM

bikebandit.com has alot of parts got alot of stock parts too

Old 06-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Member MK2

Thanks, I checked them out but then I noticed a banner on this forum cheapcycleparts.com so I ordered from them cause they were $20 cheaper then bike bandit.