F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New to F4i

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New to F4i

I"m in NY, no snow yet as of now but its cold. I'm buying from a private seller. I do not know how this title thing works. Its a clean title, and all he has to do is sign it over to me??? he will take his plates and stuff I'm guessing, so technically i can't drive it home right??

Old 11-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could with a bill of sale which you should have to accompany the title transfer when you buy it.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:47 AM

ORIGINAL: chetman7

I"m in NY, no snow yet as of now but its cold. I'm buying from a private seller. I do not know how this title thing works. Its a clean title, and all he has to do is sign it over to me??? he will take his plates and stuff I'm guessing, so technically i can't drive it home right??
you cant drive it home if it has no plates and i wouldnt try barrowing someone elses as now are state troopers have camras moutned on their cars to read plates with out them even looking at them.

you will need the tittle, bill of sale, and the yellow nys taxation forum when you go to register it.

what you will need to register the bike

to be filled out by both parties
:
-tittle
-bill of sale
-gift and taxation forum dtf-802 (you can get and print that out from here http://nysdmv.com/forms/dtf802.pdf )

to be filled out by you

- you need to bring proof of insurance
- you need a registration forum mv82 ( you can get that here http://nysdmv.com/forms/mv82.pdf )

Old 11-28-2008, 10:21 AM

I believe you could actually get plates when you have the title signed over to your name. Its what I did when I got my f4i last year (but I just had the old owner ride it to my house since Id never been on a bike before at the time lol)... good ol AAA

Old 11-28-2008, 10:44 AM

not to be rude but each state is different. he lives in nys and so do i. im fairly confident that you have to re register in nys just signing over the tittle is not good enough. it only takes a few minutes as long as the lines arnt long in nys to get a registration and plates.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:52 AM

Most states allow a grace period for registration. Such as, in WV you can run on the previous owners plates for 10 days. After that you have to have your own registration. Find a cop, more than likely he'll know the law for your state. Just remember that if you plan on riding the bike get insurance for it several business days before you leave topick up the bike. It may take several days for your policy to become active. Dont be dumb and not get insurance especially if you're inexperienced. Check with your states DMV and see if you need a notorized bill of sale and transfer of title. Every states requirements are different so I can only comment on those for WV, but better safe than sorry.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:03 AM

I have an 01 f4i and I have rattle at about 5500rpms, from what I got in this thread its the CCT? What is that?

Old 12-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cam chain tensioner. they say you should buy an APE one. google it