F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New Chain & sprocket needed. Still learning, please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008 | 02:06 PM
WOT
Default RE: New Chain & sprocket needed. Still learning, please help

ORIGINAL: Jump1979man

Vortex Sprockets are junk. Search the net and you will find all kinds of bad stories about the teeth bending or breaking off.

You mean I will find all kinds of opinions like yours?

Old 08-15-2008 | 02:07 PM

ORIGINAL: WOT

Vortex Sprockets are junk. Search the net and you will find all kinds of bad stories about the teeth bending or breaking off.

I have Vortex Sprockets and they work great.

Old 08-15-2008 | 02:11 PM
WOT

ORIGINAL: Stephens

I have Vortex Sprockets and they work great.
+1

Old 08-15-2008 | 03:10 PM
|

Thanks again guys. i was actually considering buying vortex sprockets and a DID chain separately.

If someone where to go that route with say, a -1/+2 set up, how would they know the chain will be the right size? Assuming the sprockets are 525 and the chain is a 525, is there anything else that needs to be done to the chain to make it fit?

Old 08-15-2008 | 03:29 PM
WOT

That's exactly why the kit is easier, because it comes with the correct length chain. Either way if you do it yourself, you will need a chain cutter/rivet tool.

Old 08-15-2008 | 03:30 PM

Not sure if the chain will come at the exact length needed. When I replaced the chain on my 400EX, there were about 10~11 extra links that I had to remove. Just had to grind off the rivet heads on the first link not needed and then pushed/pryed them off/out.

One big thing to consider is what kind of master link you intend to use. That chain I menioned also came with a rivit style master that I had to peen over by hand with two hammers and a friend (not reccomended). I don't like the idea of a clip stlye master, but they seem to work fine for others. Then there's some crazy threaded/rivet style master out there where you thread the rivets down then the threads snap off clean.

So if you plan to get a chain with a rivit master, be sure you have access to a rivet tool

Old 08-15-2008 | 03:33 PM
|

That's exactly why the kit is easier, because it comes with the correct length chain. Either way if you do it yourself, you will need a chain cutter/rivet tool.
exactly the answer i was looking for. thanks WOT

Old 08-15-2008 | 03:42 PM
WOT

Yeah, to be clear: [ol][*]Hold rear brake and loosen front sprocket but do not remove completely[*]Put bike on rear stand[*]Remove rear wheel[*]Remove front sprocket and put on new sprocket (do not try to tighten much, you will torque it once you have everything back together)[*]Remove bolts from rear sprocket (careful not to F up your rotor)[*]Put on new rear sprocket and torque (I think it's like 45ft pnds but not sure)[*]Remove chain by grinding off rivet head on one of the links on the chain and push it through with chain tool[*]Put wheel back on[*]Put new chain on and lay on rear sprocket[*]Rivet new chain[*]Torque front sprocket[*]Done! [/ol]

Old 08-15-2008 | 06:00 PM

Usually a fact based upon teeth bending or breaking is not opinion.

You must be sponsored by Vortex to have such a huge endorsement for their product.

I am not saying Vortex wont work, there are just better options.

Also I wouldnt worry about getting a rivet style chain link....The clip on works fine and as long as you safety wire it there is no worries.

Use a dremel to grind down the old rivet, and you wont need any sort of chain break or rivet tool.

Old 08-15-2008 | 06:23 PM
WOT

I could search the net and find all kinds of bad stories about clip links... but does that make it a fact?

Quick Reply: New Chain & sprocket needed. Still learning, please help