F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New Chain & sprocket needed. Still learning, please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008 | 10:38 PM
Default RE: New Chain & sprocket needed. Still learning, please help

ORIGINAL: WOT

I think you are making it too complicated. I would recommend that you just buy the RK quick accel kit from kneedraggers.com. Your speedo will be off, but you get used to it.
+1. Or you can get some from sproketcenter.com, just select your ratios. it's way cheaper to get a kit.

I did -1 in front w/o +2 in the back since I track my bike once in a while and can get up to 145 at the local track. so don't want to lose too much up top.

Old 08-14-2008 | 11:52 PM

I'm not meaning to steal this thread, but how high does the F4i rev @ 70mph with -1 + 2? I definitelly want to change my sprockets, but I don't want the bike to rev higher than 6.5k-7k @ 70mph. Thanks.

Old 08-15-2008 | 12:22 AM
|

ORIGINAL: axsys

i have about the same commute as you, i ride pretty hard, and i get about 40mpg still.
You get 40mpg with your sprocket/chain and your exhaust? thats better than i get with mine all stock. haha well thats reassuring.

And thanks for all your posts. Im still looking for some clairification about the chains. 525 is just a tad heavier and stronger, where as the 520 is just lighter and has less longevity? If its that simple i think a stronger chain makes sense.

Old 08-15-2008 | 05:36 AM

I need a new chain too, but i don't know what to choose between DID, RK and EK (about this one i've heard today ) What do you recommend?

Old 08-15-2008 | 08:39 AM

A chain is a chain is a chain.

You're correct on the chain info. The 520 will reduce weight making the bike faster but it doesn't last as long. When you buy your sprockets make sure you get which ever ones match with your chain because 520 chain will not fit on a 525 sprocket.

Also, anything but stock makes your chain wear indicator useless.

Old 08-15-2008 | 08:59 AM
WOT

ORIGINAL: seansinisi

You get 40mpg with your sprocket/chain and your exhaust? thats better than i get with mine all stock. haha well thats reassuring.
The problem is, with the conversion your ODO will be off, making it look like you are getting 40mpg when you are not!

Since my conversion, on the highway in top gear, going with traffic (probably aruond 70mph), I am at a steady 7K rpms... so that's when I notice it most.

Old 08-15-2008 | 09:43 AM

ORIGINAL: adidas00

I need a new chain too, but i don't know what to choose between DID, RK and EK (about this one i've heard today ) What do you recommend?

The Driven Power Up kit comes with a gold 520 RK chain.

https://www.riverwayracing.com/store...t=0&page=1

Old 08-15-2008 | 09:49 AM
WOT

ORIGINAL: Jump1979man

ORIGINAL: adidas00

The Driven Power Up kit comes with a gold 520 RK chain.

https://www.riverwayracing.com/store...t=0&page=1
And the RK quick accel kit comes with Vortex sprockets and either the gold or silver RK chain.

Old 08-15-2008 | 01:32 PM

Vortex Sprockets are junk. Search the net and you will find all kinds of bad stories about the teeth bending or breaking off.

Old 08-15-2008 | 01:54 PM

Alot of good advice. I did the -1 in the front and it does throw off your speedometer. If you don't get a speedohealer, what will happen it will seem like you are riding more miles that you actually are. You rack up the miles reading on the odometer faster. A speedohealer is about 100 bucks online. Easy to set up and a pain to install.

Quick Reply: New Chain & sprocket needed. Still learning, please help