F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New CBRF4i Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011 | 11:19 AM
|
Default New CBRF4i Owner

Hey guys a few things, Im new to the scene and just purchased my first bike.

1. The bike does not show any kind of fuel gauge. You can see that there is a spot on the screen but digitally i dont see anything.

2. Is there a aftermarket cowl or simple conversion to eleminate the back seat part of the bike? (i saw the conversion that someone has posted but i do not feel comfortable doing this myself considering i am new to the scene.

3. I am having problems trying to unlock the compartment part of the bike and needed some help on how to release the latch because i have a feeling something is getting caught on it to prevent it from opening.

Any tips and advise would be greatly appreciated.. thank you in advance

Old 05-05-2011 | 11:46 AM

Hey Dweebster, welcome to the forums! and congrats on getting a F4i.

The digital mark you see on your gauge is the RES (reserve), it turns on when you're running on reserve fuel. Typically it's about 30 miles to get to a gas station.

Are you trying to exchange the passenger seat for a plastic? They have cowls, you'll just have to search around for 1.
Something like this can be found:Honda Parts, Honda Sportbike Parts, Honda Fender | NiceCycle.com

For the lock mechanism, i had a similar problem. I took the passenger seat off, and you can directly see the lock mechanism, and i saw there was a lot of slack on the pulley that lifted the lock, so i tightened it and done.

Good luck!

Old 05-05-2011 | 11:47 AM

Congrats on the new bike.

- The fuel gauge only appears when the tank is low.
- I've seen some cowls that cover the tail section of the banana seat but I don't know where to find it.
- If you can get the compartment open then check the latch and locking mechanism for any issues that may be causing it to jam up.

Old 05-05-2011 | 12:11 PM
June 2012 Ride of the Month

Sweet enjoy your new ride and share some pics with us! As for you seat cowl question, they are out there, just not cheap. Also depends on the type of seat you have. From 01-03 they have a sporty split seat and 04-06 has a banana seat.

Old 05-05-2011 | 12:12 PM

Just had the same problem with my passenger seat being jammed and it turned out that the cable from the lock to the mechanism had frayed and broken. I tried going in from underneath the front seat, but couldn't get the latch to let go, but somehow from the left side of the bike I managed to get it to pop open after fiddling long enough. I ended up running a zip tie from the latch to the outside of the seat for a temporary fix until I get around to buying a new cable for the lock.

Old 05-05-2011 | 01:32 PM

Welcome

What year F4i?

Old 05-05-2011 | 02:07 PM

Welcome to the forum.

If you have the banana seat model, you can do the '01-03 split seat conversion. Its *not* difficult to do. You just need the parts.

I've outlined the necessary components & show the procedure for installation in my tutorial. There's no special tools or skills needed, just basic hand tools.

If you decide to do it, please feel free to contact me for help & I'll walk you through it.

Otherwise, as stated, you can put a seat cowl over the rear portion of the banana seat but personally, I've never really cared for the those.

Too, you can remove the banana seat cowl & seat, & replace it w/a race cowl that will give it the illusion of a split-seat bike...but you won't have the use of your seat & will have to use a seat-pad (like race bikes).

Old 05-05-2011 | 02:16 PM

Welcome to the forum. I think everyone else got the idea a crossed about your problem. So I will spare you from hearing it again. get some pictures up as soon as you can. As for seat sticking I have heard if you have someone push down on the seat while you unlock it that sometimes it frees up then. give that a try if there isnt any slack in the cable. good luck
gear up and ride safe

Old 05-05-2011 | 03:41 PM
|

I don't mean to
Sound stupid but does anyone know where I can get a pic of how the compartment is actually suppose to open up? Thank you

Old 05-05-2011 | 04:22 PM

I can go snap a pic if you want me too. what exactly do you want in the picture? just the back seat coming up?

Quick Reply: New CBRF4i Owner