F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New CBR owner need help, richmond VA

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New CBR owner need help, richmond VA

i just got my first bike today
is a 2002 F4i
just got it about 2 hours ago and everything checks out and i tired to start it just now and it wont start, and when i am shifting the gears the N light will goes off and come back on, dont know what the issue is and need help
thanks

PS
Could it just be my battery?

Old 05-10-2010, 04:25 PM

not to be a dick, but is the kill switch on? and for the shifting thing I have never had that problem. when you turn the bike on does the fuel pump prime, you normally hear it.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The N light means the trans is in neutral, when you shift the gears you are obviously shifting out of neutral, then the light goes off. With a question like this, it makes me think you should stick to 4 wheels. Any monkey can twist their wrist, but to ride one of these things SAFELY requires a huge amount of mental capacity, constantly scanning the road, watching other drivers and assessing their body language (is this guy about to run me off the road). Acting and reacting to an endless amount of situations. And if you can't figure out something as simple as the neutral light, I certainly don't want to be anywhere around when you try to figure something out like counter steer, or even what to do when the rear wheel locks up. Good Luck, and go sign up for the MSF. PLEASE

Old 05-10-2010, 04:48 PM

the kill switch is not on, and i dont know about the pump, i didnt try to listen to it, the battery is on a tender now so, i guess i will find out in the morning, also before i took the battery out when i turn the key on, the light was really dime and so is the cluster light, so that means is the battery right
thanks

Old 05-10-2010, 04:53 PM

i did sign up for MSF and going this weekend, and about the neutral light, i know is in neutral but shouldnt it stay off after i shift? i mean after i shift it will come back on and it only did that when it wouldnt start, i did ride it around the block and i was shifting just fine, and i am just asking about things that i am not sure about, no need to be harsh man....
thanks

Old 05-10-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by yung_wallace B5
when i am shifting the gears the N light will goes off and come back on
neutral is inbetween 1st and 2nd gear. The N light will flash when you shift up from first or down from second gear. Be safe....

Old 05-10-2010, 05:24 PM

oh ok thanks and you have a audi? i drive a B5 A4

Old 05-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So the thing with the neutral light is while the bike isn't running? Did you try to physically move the bike to see if it was truly in neutral?

Some times when the bike isn't running, you won't be able to simply push down from neutral to 1st. Dunno why, maybe when the engine stopped things were out of sync. Rocking the bike forward while trying to shift will do it

Old 05-10-2010, 05:59 PM
July 2008 ROTM

1) Turn key on.
2) Make sure bike is in neutral.
3) Flip red kill switch to on position.
4) Listen for fuel pump whine to stop.
5) Push starter button.

If the bike doesn't start after doing those things, well then you'll need to explain exactly what's happening to figure out where things are halting the starting process.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:06 PM

ok thanks alot guys i will try it tomorrow thanks a lot for all the help

Quick Reply: New CBR owner need help, richmond VA