CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   New brake set up... (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/new-brake-set-up-105020/)

Wazmo 01-19-2010 10:36 AM

New brake set up...

Hey everyone. I searched and just couldn't find what I was looking for. Sorry if this is a repost. I need to change the pads on the bike very soon and looking to upgrade the entire set up. Does anyone have any thoughts on what to do. I will change the lines, but that is about all I know for this bike. I need a few more people who have more experience in this topic than myself.
Thanks!

gotcbr 01-19-2010 11:03 AM

How much ya want to spend? ;-)

Wazmo 01-19-2010 11:08 AM

Yeah I thought of that as well. Money isn't a huge issue, but I'm not gonna throw a huge amount of money into it as I have other things I would like to do. I am looking for a range and some reviews and I will decide from there.

brveagle 01-19-2010 03:30 PM

What do you want to use this bike for?

Street? Track? Strip?

For street, you really can't beat stock. Maybe upgrade to a 929 master cylinder.

For track, SS lines, Silkolene race fluid, SBS Dual Carbons, etc...

MC_spirited 01-19-2010 04:03 PM

You can find a used (radial) master for cheap. I got mine for like 60 bucks. Ss lines for the f4i are like a hundred bucks. With the radial master the lines come out of the bottom (vertical [ | ] ) not from the side (horizontal [ __ ]) like the f4i master. This means SS lines made for the f4i are NOT compatable with a radial master. I bought F4i lines and took them to a shop and had them put 90 degree ( L shaped) ends on where their used to be straight ends. Also I had them shortened a bit because the radial MC to caliper distances are shorter.

Be aware if you let someone ride your bike after upgrading to warn them of the touchiness of the lever. Your friends may whine about the brakes grabbing too much. I use the engine and rear brake mostly for stopping unless I have to scrub a lot of speed or do it quickly or in a panic situation. I've had an accidental stoppie before.
Not sure if 929 calipers bolt to the f4i forks, so if money is no option do a fork swap! Haha..

brveagle 01-19-2010 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by MC_spirited (Post 875311)
You can find a used (radial) master for cheap. I got mine for like 60 bucks. Ss lines for the f4i are like a hundred bucks. With the radial master the lines come out of the bottom (vertical [ | ] ) not from the side (horizontal [ __ ]) like the f4i master. This means SS lines made for the f4i are NOT compatable with a radial master. I bought F4i lines and took them to a shop and had them put 90 degree ( L shaped) ends on where their used to be straight ends. Also I had them shortened a bit because the radial MC to caliper distances are shorter.

Be aware if you let someone ride your bike after upgrading to warn them of the touchiness of the lever. Your friends may whine about the brakes grabbing too much. I use the engine and rear brake mostly for stopping unless I have to scrub a lot of speed or do it quickly or in a panic situation. I've had an accidental stoppie before.
Not sure if 929 calipers bolt to the f4i forks, so if money is no option do a fork swap! Haha..

All i did was cut off the barb on the radial master. Problem solved.

MC_spirited 01-19-2010 05:02 PM

The barb? That may work but them the lines will twist when tightening and my concern was more the bend in the lines. It looks very good with the 90 ends, the lines flow right down the fork tubes, without looping around first.

backroad 01-19-2010 08:45 PM

Exotic and expensive brakes are not really needed for a bike that is primarily ridden on the street, even with an occasional track day thrown in. Also, the more aggressive the brake pads, the more they will wear the rotors, so unless you're racing regularly and need the extra stopping power, it's not really worth the extra expense.

I use OEM style brake pads from USA-Motorcycles. They have plenty of whoa power, they're inexpensive, and I get around 10,000 miles from the fronts before needing to change them. I do 300+ miles per week of aggressive back road riding and I'm really hard on front brakes. When my front brakes are toast, the rears are not even half gone, but I go ahead and change front and rear anyway. USA-Motorcylcles F4i brakes. $39.99 for a complete front/rear set.

SS brake lines are a great upgrade that once you get used to them, you will get a better feel from the brakes. D2Moto has a great deal on Russell SS brake lines if you can catch them in stock D2Moto F4i Brake Lines.

Mikey SBF 01-19-2010 09:08 PM

Ive always stuck with tried and true stock stuff, it really is the best bang for the buck

I might upgrade to a radial master and stainless lines, but other than that youre just throwing money at something that doesnt need it

Zero1080 01-20-2010 02:09 AM

I stick with EBC HH pads I believe. Whatever I pick up at the dealer. And if I have extra money, maybe going with stainless lines.