CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   new battery now or next year (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/new-battery-now-next-year-131197/)

City Bike Racing 10-01-2011 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Aken (Post 1103647)
Should leave the battery disconnected over winter anyway.

+1

MadHattr059 10-02-2011 05:59 AM

No power in the garage? My tender came with a dongle that connects to the battery.
All I have to do is plug to it, not pull the seat to access the battery itself.
When I get ready to ride, just pull connection and tuck dongle into
the frame. I don't actually bother except when it is really cold and I'm not
going to ride for a couple of weeks-ish.

If you don't have a garage/outdoor electrical access than battery-tending on the
bike is tougher. It might be better to wait for spring to swap batterys out.

You CAN use the old battery and bump-start it, to get thru the winter. If the
charging/electrical is working properly, it doesn't hurt a thing. The bike uses
power from the stator to run. The battery is only there to start the bike.
Ask any track-racer what's one of the first things to go to eliminate weight.

One thing to keep in mind for all those using a charger indoors...
Charging the battery creates hydrogen gas which is extremely flammable.
Indoors this can accumulate excessively. Keep all sources of ignition
AWAY from the battery!! Exploding batterys are a REALY BAD thing!

Ern

Kuroshio 10-02-2011 11:16 AM

My bike is stored in the driveway between apartment buildings. when I had a 1st floor apartment, I just fed the tender out the bedroom window. But now I'm on the 3rd floor. And while I could drop an extension cord down the side of the building, I don't want to expose the tender to the elements.

hondacbrgirl89 10-02-2011 08:37 PM

Ahhh this happen to me last week when I got to school, the battery died. Let it sit while I was in my classes, and it cranked back (dead cell or something). Rode it to the Honda Shop and bought me a battery, it's ok to buy a battery. Keep it hooked on a Battery Tender when not riding!

Couple of more rides, and mines coming in the house this winter! It's getting stripped and cleaned really good, and I will just take the battery out and leave it hooked up on a battery tender all Winter!!!!!

since you dont have a way of storing your bike, buy a battery, ride a couple times till your not going to ride anymore, bring the battery in and leave it on charge all winter!!!!
(Been bringing my batteries in every year!!)

Kuroshio 10-03-2011 09:11 PM

Well I pulled the battery this morning and popped it on the tender. Charged up and I grabbed a multimeter...

12.57V across the posts. The stator is obviously working since I was able to get her home fine without even getting a jump or bump starting her. Not gonna trust her to get me to work tomorrow till I get a chance to put the battery back in and test the voltage across the posts while running. And not quite trusting the battery anyways (it's pushing 6 years old being the OEM).

R Dub 10-04-2011 10:47 AM

Showing 12.57V at the post when resting if very normal for a bad battery to show. You need to check the volts when you hit the starter button. If they drop below a certain amount which I think is 9V then the battery is toast. When my battery was going out it would show well over 12V at rest and then in the 7's when I pushed the excite button. At first it would take a charge but wouldn't hold it that long then it got to the point where it wouldn't even take a charge and would only start with the battery charger hooked to it. Put a new battery in it and all my problems were fixed. I bought mine from https://www.batterygiant.com/displayitem.asp?ID=YTZ10S but when I bought it, it was $47. Two weeks later the tsunami hit Japan and the price doubled. But so far not a single problem.

estate4life 10-04-2011 11:23 AM

I like to plan my purchases early...ahead of time. If your battery dies & then push start, ride it to shop and purchase from them....there's your retail cost. Try buying a gas container when ur out of gas at the gas station....$$$$ to much.

So when you know you need something, it's sooner or later? Start browsing around...eBay, amazon, online website...close out deal, a friend selling etc...once you see a deal you believe it's difficult to pass up.....buy it!!! Some things you can actually save more money if you buy in bulk....but who needs 3 batteries when you only need one? But if three batteries cost at a price of one, I'll get the 3...and then hook a CBRF member up...LOL....

Kuroshio 10-04-2011 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by R Dub (Post 1104298)
Showing 12.57V at the post when resting if very normal for a bad battery to show. You need to check the volts when you hit the starter button. If they drop below a certain amount which I think is 9V then the battery is toast. When my battery was going out it would show well over 12V at rest and then in the 7's when I pushed the excite button. At first it would take a charge but wouldn't hold it that long then it got to the point where it wouldn't even take a charge and would only start with the battery charger hooked to it. Put a new battery in it and all my problems were fixed. I bought mine from https://www.batterygiant.com/displayitem.asp?ID=YTZ10S but when I bought it, it was $47. Two weeks later the tsunami hit Japan and the price doubled. But so far not a single problem.

Will check it when the starter is hit. While running, both at idle and at 4.5k rpm, multimeter showed 14.67 +-.1. So I'm not worried bout the stator

Kuroshio 10-04-2011 06:22 PM

Just checked. 11.2v is the lowest it drops when the starter is hit. Then she's lit and starts climbing again

dveldtf4i 10-04-2011 06:33 PM

Sounds like you're just due for a new battery. Hell most car batteries don't make it 6 years old, especially the OEM ones.