CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   new battery now or next year (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/new-battery-now-next-year-131197/)

Kuroshio 09-29-2011 04:51 PM

new battery now or next year

Battery died on Tuesday as soon as i turned off my bike. It's run dead about 5-8 times this year because of my alarm / led / laziness. So i'm pretty sure it's laziness a dead cell. Bike stayed lit the whole ride to work afterall so the stator was prolly pulling double duty. Here's the dilemma.

I don't have a convenient way to connect my battery tender over the winter / now so when it's cell time to store her i was planning on buyingvabnew battery and just waiting till riding season to install it, keeping it on a tender in the house and dropping it in on good days. But there are still some consecutive good days for riding left this season. So do i buy a new battery now and just pull it when the forecast is rain? Or stick with the old, charging it when i can before forecasted good days and replace it later?

74demon 09-29-2011 05:07 PM

why not just remove the draw by disconnecting the cables when it sits for and extended period of time?

get a new one... connect it when you use it. or- park it for the season, replace it next year

supersnake83 09-29-2011 05:48 PM

Replace it next year.

Charge when needed as we have maybe 2 months of safe riding left here in Philly.

Buy new next year around March and start a new cycle then.

Cheers!

R Dub 09-29-2011 07:21 PM

Next year so the warranty starts during riding season and not when you can't use it.

Kuroshio 09-29-2011 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1103453)
why not just remove the draw by disconnecting the cables when it sits for and extended period of time?

get a new one... connect it when you use it. or- park it for the season, replace it next year

One of the battery drains is my alarm. 2 way alarms draw on the battery constantly and the Spy5000m isn't a Scorpio in terms of quality :p

City Bike Racing 09-30-2011 11:11 AM

I'd wait till spring

dveldtf4i 09-30-2011 01:24 PM

if you have a Cyclegear nearby, they have a lifetime warranty battery. If the battery is toast at the end of winter then they'll replace it for free. cost me like 130 bucks and they told me if anything happens I can replace it at any Cyclegear.

supersnake83 09-30-2011 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by dveldtf4i (Post 1103601)
if you have a Cyclegear nearby, they have a lifetime warranty battery. If the battery is toast at the end of winter then they'll replace it for free. cost me like 130 bucks and they told me if anything happens I can replace it at any Cyclegear.

That sounds like a good deal. When I replace my battery, I'll head over to a cyclegear next time.

Aken 09-30-2011 06:24 PM

Should leave the battery disconnected over winter anyway.

boredandstroked 10-01-2011 12:45 AM

Don't ride on a dead battery if you don't have to. The charging system is more exspensive then a battery so why strain it?