F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Never ridden

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: yo-diggety

The 2006 CBR F4i is a real cool bike dude and its possible to start out with one and be ok. However, whether you think its a good starter bike or not is totally up to you since you'll be the one paying for it. I personally don't like the connotation of "starter" bike. Its as if thats supposed to mean its safer when it really isn't. For example the ninja 250 is supposedly a starter bike but if you've ever ridden one then you would see that its a somewhat potent bike. Especially for someone who doesn't know how to ride. That being said the CBR 600 F4i is a lot heavier and faster than a Ninja 250 so given these two factors a Ninja 250 would probably instill greater confidence in the new rider than a larger 600 would. So this confidence combined with training and practice is what will keep you safe on the road.

Now I don't mean to say you should go out and buy a 250 Ninja or 125 Honda Rebel (cuz they aren't visually sexy) but you should weigh all your options. So go take that MSF course and get a taste for what it is to ride a motorcycle. Then go out and buy your new/used bike and ride it around the neighborhood until you feel comfortable with it and then hit some side streets and get it up a little faster. After that do a short jaunt on the highway and see what it feel like. Baby steps you know.

You as the rider can dictate many of the situations you will face simply by choosing whether you put yourself ( I say many not all because some situations come at you without any control on your part) in them. As a new rider you should put yourself in the less frantic situations like low traffic times during the day and such.

Anyway, the Blue 2006 CBR F4i is very striking in appearance. I think the yellow one is kind of strange looking. It would have been better with black decals. Kind of like a bumble bee. Check out the Kawasaki's too I love those green paint schemes. Makes me think of the ninja turtles everytime I see one. Anyway have fun whatever you decide to buy.

Old 05-02-2006, 11:45 PM

Copy that, I saw the new blue F4i down @the Western Honda dealer yesterday it's gotta be one of the best looking new bikes. There is no doubt in my extreme inability to ride a bike though. Maybe it'd be a good idea to go to cycletrader.com and look at a few Ninja 250's, couldn't hurt, whats the worst that can happen? Nothing I can think of. Thanks for the feedback, very helpful.

Old 05-03-2006, 12:23 AM

Look on craigslist for used 250s, you could prolly get an 04 or 05 for around $2300 and sell it a few thousand miles later for basically the same price.

Old 05-03-2006, 05:36 PM

The F4i can be an okay beginner bike if you go at it with the right approach but as has already been said a 250 or 500 is a better idea for many reasons. I started out on a 100cc 2 stroke Kawasaki "dual-sport" (it was a POS). I learned the basics on that, but when I got on my F4i it freakin terrified me, but I learned and got better, now the F4i is my trackbike and I can ride that thing for all its worth. What I like about the F4i as a beginner bike is that the power is very manageable but once your skills become more advanced there is still a ton of potential. Its a bike that can be a gentle beginner bike or a brutal track fiend, depending on how you treat it (and some aftermarket goodies, hehe). Good luck with your choice, any bike is a good bike and you'll have plenty of fun on a 250 if thats what you decide

-JW

Old 05-03-2006, 06:45 PM

the f4i was my first bike, and ive had the thing for about a year and a half already. Driving a car and riding a motorcycle are two completely different things, both require different reactions based on certain situations, for example if something was to jump out in front of you, your first reaction would be to lay into the brakes, well if you do that on a motorcycle, the results can be alittle different. My buddy actually just totaled his r6 yesterday from that. so take the MSF course. believe me you will learn alot

Old 05-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Default RE: Never ridden

Hey

Well i'll add my .02 here now.. I am riding an F4i now.. 2005.

You'll be just fine with it, as stated before, baby steps... after about a year you should be able to handle her pretty well and should have enough skill to upgrade to a larger.

Taker easy, respect, patience and awareness ... Welcome to the sport! =)

Old 05-03-2006, 11:39 PM

ORIGINAL: medyv

In my view a 600 is not a beginner's bike, end of story. You could be the best driver in the world, but the biggest danger of crashing or dropping the bike as a beginner will come from your lack of experience in handling a motorcycle. The people who crash coming out of the dealership or within the first month of buying a shiny 06 aren't necessarily stupid, just unprepared. The chances are just much more in your favor if you start out on a 250 or 500, and you will end up being a much better rider when you get a 600.

And to the guy who said Ninja 250s are "lame," no offense but you don't know what you're talking about. I rode a 250 for 5,000 miles and they are great little bikes, a better value than anything comparable on the market. They're just not for posers (usually riding gixxers) who are more interested in looking cool than riding well...

I do agree w/ you some of what you said but two wheels is two wheels. A Ninja 250 can get you killed just as easy as killing yourself on a zx-14. It's really in the riders hands. It's not so much time but miles ridden. I still hear guys say they been riding 15/20yrs but only have 10-12k mi in the saddle. Is that really experience? You should be able to do that in no time where you live. W/ miles comes experience, time brings maturity and wisdom. Like you said your not a clown so you should be straight. Welcome to the site, be safe and have fun!

Old 05-04-2006, 07:10 AM

Hmm... Decisions, decisions.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7043/BA156B3AD3BD4A039B611F9CA5745006.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7043/F61020772D62436F877592EC9747D299.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-04-2006, 10:20 AM

Well I guess that picture just about settles it.

Old 05-04-2006, 02:11 PM

ORIGINAL: kiggy74

Well I guess that picture just about settles it.

I second that!

Quick Reply: Never ridden