F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

need some advise....oil change

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some advise....oil change

so i just picked up my f4i a couple weeks ago and the guy i got it from was pretty honest on everything about the bike before i even went out to look at it. Anyhow, i asked him if the bike needed an oil change before riding season and he told me the bike would need an oil change at the end of the riding season or 5,000 miles wichever came first, and also that synthetic oil has been used ever since he got it. How do i decide wether to go with what he said or just do an oil change on the bike?

Old 02-28-2012, 05:11 PM

Just change it out, better safe than sorry.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:18 PM

^^^ yeah you honestly can never really know when it was actually done last. Its always best to change all your fluids when you buy any used vehicle just for your own piece of mind and know for sure. Im sure the guy wasnt lying to you about it not needing an oil change but like chambers said, better safe than sorry.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:26 PM

Yeah change the oil and filter. I've bought 3 used bikes now with every one of the PO's saying "Oh yeah the fluids are good for another 3k".

All 3 times I did it anyways and I've always been glad I did. I've seen some interesting things in drainpans.

It is good practice and knowing beats not knowing every single time.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:04 PM

will the oil on the bike look black (like in your car) through the sight glass when its ready for a change? because it really just looks like i just poured fresh oil in it.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:11 PM

yeah that should give you an idea but its not always a sure fire indication of the oil being good or bad. Its obviously up to you if you think you need to do it or not but like michael said its just good practice to at least change the oil when you buy a vehicle. Thats the only way to know for sure, and checking the oil filter and seeing whats in there. When i bought my first bike I put about 5-600 miles on it just out of excitement before i did any real maintenance and realized i should change the oil just to be safe.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:30 PM

cool, thanks for the advise and ill be changing the oil here pretty soon. But of course im having Bike Fever so it wont be in the next couple of days where it will be above 55 degrees here in west virginia lol.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:32 PM

and im not sure how many of you guys are DIY, but screw paying over $75 bucks at the local honda shop to do it.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:08 PM

I don't even crack the drain plug anymore on my bike. I bought a mity-vac a year ago for a car with a cross threaded drain plug. So now I just suck the oil out, replace filter and refill. The first time I used the mity vac I opened the drain plug too and got about 5 drops of oil out so I know it does it's job. One of the best things I've bought so far. Also might not hurt to flush the brake fluid, especially if it's a darkish yellow color.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by epills_7
and im not sure how many of you guys are DIY, but screw paying over $75 bucks at the local honda shop to do it.
Oh hell no. Big jug of Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W-40 and a Bosch filter (3323) at most auto parts stores will run you $30 to $35 and you have the piece of mind of knowing it was done right.

I walked in to Autozone two weeks ago and walked out with exactly what I needed. No special order and no waiting. Instant gratification, the American way!

Quick Reply: need some advise....oil change