F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Need newbie riding advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need newbie riding advice

not sure if this belongs here but here goes

today i rode for the first time on the streets. under 6k rpm and under 45mph. but that wasnt the problem

once the bike was moving i was coo, hell i wanted to go faster

the problem im having is that when i stop at the stop sign, and try to turn, i kinda get off balance. i almost drop the bike once but saved it. i was facing uphill and turning left. i tried to get it to catch 1st while turn left and i lost my balance

also i died out like 10 times, all at stop signs

i ended up running almost all the stop signs but i know i need to learn how to do this correctly.

also i keep forgetting to reset the turn signal. and also its hard to see whos behind me, i had a car pass me because i was too slow and i didnt notice until almost the last minute

Old 03-26-2007, 05:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need newbie riding advice

just gotta keep practicing. it'll take time but you'll get it eventually. practice in a parking lot.
give a bit more gas through turns so that the bike doesn't fall over...but not too much or else you run wide or break the rear loose.
just ride your own ride for now and practice!

Old 03-26-2007, 06:19 PM

+1 don't feel pressured to go any faster through turns or anything if you are not comfortable thats when you are going to get hurt...when I started riding I drove around my neighborhood hitting all the stop signs to get used to my bike....but I had plenty of dirtbike experience before this. Can't stress it enough just ride your own pace. Ride safe.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:57 PM

i had the same problems as you... probably worse... ESPECIALLY TIGHT U-TURNS! i think i laid down my bike like 10 times in a month because of u turns.

I know why you're having problems at a stop sign turning left. It's cuz you're at a stop, and then you're go so slow at the turn you feel like falling cuz you're turning. What I used to do until I got better was stop a few feet before you're gonna turn so you can get a good start and gain some speed before starting to turn.

The whole dying out thing... I never had a problem cuz I've been driving standard for years. I'm guessing you drove automatic cars huh? Don't know if it's a true fact yet, but all my friends who drove standard had no problems with the clutch on bikes. Friends with auto cars didn't know how towork the clutch as good (friction point, etc)

Old 03-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reading your post...ahem....I apologize, but if you want my honest opinion, you don't sound like a normal newb. You sound like someone who's trying to teach himself HOW TO ride. I suggest you take an MSF course before you hurt yourself or someone else. Running stop signs is a serious thing and should not be viewed as a time to learn.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:26 PM
Mad

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180

Reading your post...ahem....I apologize, but if you want my honest opinion, you don't sound like a normal newb. You sound like someone who's trying to teach himself HOW TO ride. I suggest you take an MSF course before you hurt yourself or someone else. Running stop signs is a serious thing and should not be viewed as a time to learn.
+1..

The course will teach you how to quick stop, avoid obstacles, conduct tight turns and basic road safety to name just a few. I might be wrong but your post leads me to believe you don't have a license yet so the MSF course will definately help you with that. Trust me the skills you'll learn are priceless.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:32 PM

MSF

Old 03-26-2007, 09:21 PM

MSF courses don't teach you everything you need and want to learn. They teach you the basics. Nonetheless, it's a foundation to build up on.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:54 PM

yea take an MSF course...it'll probably save your life

Old 03-26-2007, 11:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. Best start. I'm thinking of taking another one.
Every one should also take a track school. Especially if you think you're hot sh*t. It will humble many a boy racer.

Quick Reply: Need newbie riding advice