F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Need help!!!! Spending too much money shop.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I thought it said it on my screen where I was located. I'm located in Santa Rosa, CA I'd appreciate if someone came by to help i'd pay if you could fix it. So now I have worse news. They got the kill switch today and installed and guess what? still doesn't run. They now think that it because it missing the wiring sub harness to the gauge cluster because I dont have one so there gonna install that. And I told them that the bike ran fine without that sub harness and whats the point if I dont even have a gauge cluster. and they said it just needed it to be done so they'll do it for free which is nice but now its gonna be in there till next tuesday and it still probably wont run. I told them that they should figure out why the fuel pump won't prime and not deal with the stuff that never worked in the first place but they won't because of liability and they dont want to hack into the brand new harness that I just bought.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you need to do is tell those dumb ****s to take off all their **** they made you pay for, and give you back your money. If they don't, just tell them to use that money to go get them a real mechanic that knows how diagnose a problem without guessing and costing the customer unnecessary loot.

On a side note, how was your TOS bypassed? Was it rigged, or was a diode connected to it? Also, I'd definitely start with the wire harness that went up in smoke.....needs to be checked that all wires are functional even if the bike doesn't start. Get someone over there that knows how to use a voltmeter.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by iJapanesey
What you need to do is tell those dumb ****s to take off all their **** they made you pay for, and give you back your money. If they don't, just tell them to use that money to go get them a real mechanic that knows how diagnose a problem without guessing and costing the customer unnecessary loot.

On a side note, how was your TOS bypassed? Was it rigged, or was a diode connected to it? Also, I'd definitely start with the wire harness that went up in smoke.....needs to be checked that all wires are functional even if the bike doesn't start. Get someone over there that knows how to use a voltmeter.

Yea seriously. When I brought the bike to them they immediatly said that theyd have to get a new wire harness because the one that went up in smoke was such a mess they wouldnt be able to trace the wires. I keep telling them that it ran fine without these parts that there throwing on that they should focus on other stuff but they said they wanna do it right for liability issues and hey dont want to have to cut into the brand new harness. Basicly if the bike doesnt run after this subharness is installed i'm gonna demand a lot of money back and im just gonna take the bike home and see if either I can do it or I can find a legit person to do it.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:29 PM

That'd be a great lawsuit if they couldn't fix it. Have you paid them yet? or are they just quoting you? I would take my bike bike and do all my own work. I'm working on a LOT of electrical stuff for my bike, so if you have any specific questions, just let me know. I'm all self taught, but can at least provide insight if you can give me colors and locations.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Zero1080
That'd be a great lawsuit if they couldn't fix it. Have you paid them yet? or are they just quoting you? I would take my bike bike and do all my own work. I'm working on a LOT of electrical stuff for my bike, so if you have any specific questions, just let me know. I'm all self taught, but can at least provide insight if you can give me colors and locations.

Ok thanks. Yea there just quoting me what i'm gonna have to pay. Man I would do it myself but i'm so bad. Im gonna have to try tho if this next part dowesnt fix it which im sure 90% it won't.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:01 PM

Alright I am done with spending money at the shop so I brought it home today and I'm going to try again myself. They got the fuel pump to work because they bypassed the fuel pump relay so they said I should replace the relay and the fuel pump will then prime normally. But we have a new problem. The bike even with the fuel pump working will still not start and the mechanic said it's not getting spark. The spark plugs look great and almost brand new. They said maybe I blew my ECM and said it would be about $900 for a new one and thats when I said ok I'm taking this home. What else could it be. Why is it not sparking? And if any one is in the north bay santa rosa area and wants to take a look let me know.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:57 AM

ECM's are under 200 used. I bought one for 145 on ebay. Did you already pay these mechanics? How do you know they even did all the work they said they were doing? When I first bought my bike I took it to a shop and ended up spending a ****load trying to get it to run. I payed 500 dollars and it still wasn't running at the end. I took it to another shop and they find the problem in a few minutes and they told me that the other shop didn't even do the work or replace the parts they said they did. That first shop went out of business so I had to just suck it up though...
Especially since you told them beforehand that what they wanted to do wouldn't even work and they insisted on it anyway.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by elato001
ECM's are under 200 used. I bought one for 145 on ebay. Did you already pay these mechanics? How do you know they even did all the work they said they were doing? When I first bought my bike I took it to a shop and ended up spending a ****load trying to get it to run. I payed 500 dollars and it still wasn't running at the end. I took it to another shop and they find the problem in a few minutes and they told me that the other shop didn't even do the work or replace the parts they said they did. That first shop went out of business so I had to just suck it up though...
Especially since you told them beforehand that what they wanted to do wouldn't even work and they insisted on it anyway.
It's not at the shop anymore and yea they did everything they said and they got the fuel pump to work but there's isn't spark now and they think it's the ECM. But I've been looking on forums and people say it's the diode in the ignition switch. I have to check with a voltmeter and if it's getting 12v it's bad and if it's getting like 9v it's good so I hear. And if the diode is good then instead of buying a ECM I'm just gonna see if someone local will let me test there's on my bike.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:00 AM

Yeah, imagine any price the dealer gives you, and it's really less than a third of of that price.

But ECM is a possibility. Sounds like it's just gonna be a semi-pricey guess and check until you get it.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:00 AM

Yeah, imagine any price the dealer gives you, and it's really less than a third of of that price.

But ECM is a possibility. Sounds like it's just gonna be a semi-pricey guess and check until you get it.

Quick Reply: Need help!!!! Spending too much money shop.