F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Need help!!!! Spending too much money shop.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help!!!! Spending too much money shop.

I have a 2001 Cbr f4i. It's a stunt bike and a lot if stuff has been bypassed like the tip sensor, kick stand, clutch switch, and kill switch. My bike was running perfect and then the front of my wiring harness got to close to the header and caught fire. The bike would crank all day but not start. The fuel pump wouldn't prime. I tested fuel pump and it was good. All sensors were fine, so I took it to the shop and they suggested to buy a new wiring harness ($300) and labor of installation ($250) and they'll go from there. After a week of being in the shop it and new harness installed still wouldn't start. They found something wrong with the ignition so they bought new ignition ($45) and labor ($50) and overnight shipping $(34) still wouldn't start. They then thought it was the kill switch. But my bike ran fine with out the killswitch working. So that's ($80) for part and since my bike has been there for 2 weeks there doing free labor. If that doesn't work what could it be? I've spent $800 already and I don't have anymore funds. It's pissing me off.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:27 PM

Doing your own labor will save bookoo bucks. That and hunting the parts down yourself. Haynes manuals are a great tool.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by botlfed
Doing your own labor will save bookoo bucks. That and hunting the parts down yourself. Haynes manuals are a great tool.
I can't do electrical if my life depended on it. lol that's why its at the shop. I just don't understand why they think it's the kill switch when the kill switch never even worked in the first place while it's running.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:51 PM

Communication. Tell them that it can't be the problem since it wasn't one before.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:58 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One thing I dont understand... they put parts in to fix it and it didnt fix it.. so why do you have to pay for it? If fixing the bike just means roll the dice and replace parts until the problem is solved... heck.. you could have done that yourself... free labor or not... you should not have to pay for repairs that were not needed and didnt solve the problem.. if they must get paid they should charge you their cost.. dealer net..

Good luck!
Adam

Old 09-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although you say that you're no good with electrical... it sounds like that shop isn't too good at it, either.

Kinda late to have you or your buddies take a shot at it, but I would certainly let the shop know that the kill switch wasn't a problem before. I'd also ask them why they think each part that they're replacing is the problem. "Shot in the dark" repair methods are weak.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:48 PM

Both of my local Honda shops are terrible on service as well. It goes something like this. "I have a weird issue", Honda tech replies, yeah that could take up to X number of labor hours but will likely be much less. When they get done it is ALWAYS the highest possible quoted price.

Very little to do with helping you and ALL to do with helping them get your money.

Its kinda like taking your pet into the Vet, they have you by the short hairs and they know it so charge accordingly.

Seriously, $170 to take off the speed sensor should be criminal

Old 09-19-2010, 03:52 PM

Yea I told them it wasnt a problem before but they said it had to be done because theres two main wires just sticking out and they said thats the reason why the fuel pump won't prime. And yea I tried doing the job before taking it to them and honestly I probally made it worse then it was. if this next part doesn't fix it im just gona sell it as a project/parts bike. So if anyone is interested let me know haha. it's a stunt bike and has lots of extras on it.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:59 PM

Where you located? lol

Old 09-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stunt'n70f4i
Yea I told them it wasnt a problem before but they said it had to be done because theres two main wires just sticking out and they said thats the reason why the fuel pump won't prime. And yea I tried doing the job before taking it to them and honestly I probally made it worse then it was. if this next part doesn't fix it im just gona sell it as a project/parts bike. So if anyone is interested let me know haha. it's a stunt bike and has lots of extras on it.
Might help if people knew where you were. There maybe some one on here close by that could ride over on a weekend and give you a hand.......

Quick Reply: Need help!!!! Spending too much money shop.