F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice

Hi my name is Curtis I'm 23, live in TX, and a noob. I am looking at getting a 2002 f4i with 3k on it, that cost $4,250.00. My question is, is this a good first bike? I have grown up riding ATV's (I know it's not the same). So, pretty much I have no experience on a bike, like to get some advice. I am planning on taking the safety course before I get my license. by the way I'm 6ft 180lb.

Last edited by 99miata61; 03-07-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea...def take the safety course... i know a bunch of guys on here would say that no one should start out on a 600. not as forgiving as opposed to a 250 or 650 vtwin like the Sv's. But for me...I started out on a 600...prob would of been better off on something smaller. I just took it slow, got familiar with the power...and all is well.
If I had to go back and do it over again..I wouldn't of changed a thing

Old 03-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First off, welcome aboard.

You say you have "pretty much no experience" & ask "is this a good first bike?" The simple answer is NO, this is not a good first bike for someone w/ no experience. That being said, it doensn't mean that it can't be done but the learning curve is extreme compared to a lower cc machine.

I commend you on wanting to take the MSF course. I recommend this to all riders. That being said, I think any MSF instructor is going to recommend that you start on a lower cc bike to work on your skills & technique. Once you've got a handle on the fundamentals w/a lower cc bike, then you can move up to a more powerful bike. This could be a relatively short period of time or longer, depending on your ability.

Whatever your decision, good luck.

Last edited by gotcbr; 03-07-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: emphasizing "no" experience
Old 03-07-2010, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by 99miata61
Hi my name is Curtis I'm 23, live in TX, and a noob. I am looking at getting a 2002 f4i with 3k on it, that cost $4,250.00. My question is, is this a good first bike? I have grown up riding ATV's (I know it's not the same). So, pretty much I have no experience on a bike, like to get some advice. I am planning on taking the safety course before I get my license. by the way I'm 6ft 180lb.

I think it's a good first bike for you, as long as you are responsible with the right hand. If I were recommending a first, I'd say a Suzuki SV650. But the two aren't all that different.

Just understand that the F4i is capable of more speed and performance that you are. (It's the same for me and I've been riding for 30-plus years.)

You'll do fine. Have fun.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can it be done?...yes. Should it be done?...NO. ;-)

Either way, practice - practice - practice in a controlled & safe environment like a closed parking lot.

Happy motoring.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Berto
I think it's a good first bike for you, as long as you are responsible with the right hand. If I were recommending a first, I'd say a Suzuki SV650. But the two aren't all that different.

Just understand that the F4i is capable of more speed and performance that you are. (It's the same for me and I've been riding for 30-plus years.)

You'll do fine. Have fun.
id say the f4i and sv650 are very different bikes. power delivery is very different and ones a vtwin the other inline4.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:05 PM

Maybe I can give the best answer here....

So this past September I decide to buy a 2002 CBR F4i, it had 19K miles on it. The bike was in immaculate shape, and quite frankly it was luv at first sight. Now granted I have never owned a bike and purchasing a bike was pretty much unknown territory for me. Would I recommend it as a first bike....yes. I did it...and I doubt I'll get bored with it anytime soon.

The F4i is an amazing machine and gotCBR and Berto said it correctly. The F4i is capable of lot more performance than what you're capable of and just take your time on it and practice in a controlled environment!

Enjoy!

Old 03-07-2010, 05:56 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm going to think about it, hopefully next week I'll have it parked next to my miata. : )

Old 03-07-2010, 06:02 PM

Just to add to the conversation.

My F4i was first bike I'd ever ridden on even sat on. The engine has a lot of power, and it will keep you entertained for a long time. Just take the safety course and take it slow after words. You will be totally fine. As gotcbr said: practice practice practice.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:44 PM

F4 600 was my first bike ever. If you are responsible, you will be fine. If you are irresponsible you will hurt yourself.

Quick Reply: Need advice