F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

n00b trying to protect teh bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: n00b trying to protect teh bike

frame sliders do help. they help protect the frame, clutch and alternator covers. as for fairings, let me say this. my bike was knocked over by a car that was parking and guess what? i go some scratches and rash from the bike falling straight down. if the bike were to be moving i would have sustained much more damage to the plastics (possibly myself too).

penpen, believe me when i tell you this; you will drop your bike! if not this one then the next. however, after you drop your bike for the first time you will see that you will be less obsessed with how it looks. you will get over that fear of scuffs and scratches. always remember, that everything on the bike is replaceable and YOU ARE NOT, respect the machine? thats dumb! the machine works for you and not the other way around! respect yourself! best of luck to you

Old 05-11-2007, 02:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good idea, but heres the thing, if he takes off the plastics, hes gonna have no headlight, unless its just free hanging (bad idea), if youre that scared of wrecking it just dont ride, even experienced riders go down,

+1 whoever said stunt cages make the bike flip, ive pancaked from 12 many a time, and it tends to flip the bike left or ride sometimes totally upside down, which is a pain in the *** picking up [:@]. frame sliders are crappy IMO if youre going fast enough to break something they dont help much ive seen them bend, break etc... but i guess theyre better than nothing? they didnt help much in my 1st wreck my side got rashed, my front and tail got totally smashed, the damage to your and your bike depends on yourself, and that danger is higher as a noob yea, but it stays with you every time you ride, taking fairings off is a good idea, but then youll need a headlight, so look up acerbis lights. also IMO plastics provide a small level of protection, they do have some give to them so thats a plus for absorbing the impact, anything is better than having your frame take the hit, if you take off your plastics, get a cage, bottom line

Old 05-11-2007, 02:52 PM

cages generally protect more than a frame slider, yeah they wont really help in a 70mph crash, but frame sliders would most likely snap off that that speed too. call up powers stunt works for either a full cage or id reccomend race rails

Old 05-11-2007, 03:17 PM
IDL

ORIGINAL: Air4Andy

3> Always assume that EVERY other vehicle WILL DEFINITELY do the stupidest possible thing at every given moment (you'll be ready, shaking your head when the cut you off)
+1 on this one for sure!
I've lost count of how many times I've shaken my head while driving around traffic. Sometimes I actually burst out laughing at the horrible things drivers do sometimes.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:09 PM

Check this! Cage is good to protect both the engine and fairings; However, kiss twistys goodbyeafter you install a cage. If you lean to a bit too much you will hit you cage on a turn and possibly end up on the ground.
Also, what makes you guys think that you will always land on your side during an incident? Front collission and getting hit from the back is just as common and dropping your bike sideways. Thanks to idiots and jerks on the rode anything is possible.
Be safe, Be good!

Old 05-11-2007, 04:15 PM

ORIGINAL: alekinci
However, kiss twistys goodbyeafter you install a cage.

mmmm hmmmmm, i think thats coming from someone whos never ridden with a cage.

now from someone who has ridden with a cage, thats bs, anyone that says a bike with a cage cant take turns has obviously never seen someone ride who has a cage, i know plenty of other guys besides me with cages that can put that bitch thru a turn like its nothing, some of them drag cage, i have a sick innovations cage and its low profile enough that i really havent noticed a difference

Old 05-11-2007, 05:40 PM

ORIGINAL: JZHALES
i know plenty of other guys besides me with cages that can put that bitch thru a turn like its nothing, some of them drag cage, i have a sick innovations cage and its low profile enough that i really havent noticed a difference
Right, you just two things that should be completely avoided by a noob.
One, people come to a point on a lean where they start dragging their cages. This can be done both on purpose and accidentally. Should this be attempted by a dude who just wants to learn to ride and protect this fairings? I doubt that!
Two; now this is true, its also depends on the type/brand of cage you have that will make a difference. I have seen people with cages (not sure of the brand) that had to slow down very hard because of a serious turn. Im pretty sure the people that stunt have already learned how to make serious turns so I would say that the cage did/does get in the way of that guy making serious turns. <Now these are just more than opinions.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:05 PM

yea +1 to all that dude, that kind of what i was thinking too, hes a noob hes not gonna be draggin that cage anyway, and by the time hes getting that bike low enough to drag cage he should feel comfortable enough to put his fairings back on lol. good point on that. and the brand of cage does make a different, my sick cage can corner, ive seen freestyle ing. corner, and ive got a few ppl who can corner with powers, but once again alek thats some good points,