F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

my new fast

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my new fast

just picked it up two weekends ago and have already done my share of riding, and of course realized i need a new seat. ha ha.

it's all stock except the micron carbon fiber slip on. i'd like to get a real fender eliminator on it, flush mount signals, smoke windshield and some fork and swing arm spools/sliders. it's an '01 but it still has the OEM tires and brakes on it. tires are a little on the hard side but are ok for now. looking to get some pilots later in the season. just did an oil change this weekend and it runs perfect cept for the howling at 5k. don't know what it is but it kinda buzzes in any gear at 5k. anyway...just wanted to show off.

Old 05-30-2006, 04:53 PM
Default RE: my new fast

looks good man, nice choice. i love that color scheme.

Old 05-30-2006, 05:09 PM

Looks good, the F4i is a great choice. I think the howling at 5K you are talking about is due to the cam chain tensioner (CCT for short). Many if not all F4i have that problem. I replaced mine with the APE manual CCT and the noise stopped.

Old 05-30-2006, 05:52 PM

ORIGINAL: snlf4i

Looks good, the F4i is a great choice. I think the howling at 5K you are talking about is due to the cam chain tensioner (CCT for short). Many if not all F4i have that problem. I replaced mine with the APE manual CCT and the noise stopped.
how much did that cost? can you do it yourself? what exactly does it do?

Old 05-30-2006, 06:05 PM

For the gasket and the CCT it cost me $60.10. I did it myself and it was not to difficult but more time consuming. You don't have much space to work with and can get frustrating at times. Here is a link that I followed to install mine http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/85183.aspx. Here is were I bought it and it gives you a description of "what it does" many people may know more then what they say. http://www.cbrzone.com/sprockets.html. Hope this helps.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:45 PM

thanks...i just read the post. is there any way to replace the automatic CCT with another auto? or is best to get the manual? it also sounds like you guys were hearing a lot of rattling before the bike was even in gear. i don't hear anything until i'm at exactly 5k in any gear.

i'm also wondering if honda would look at this since i have an extended warranty on the bike. guess i'll make a phone call and find out.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:56 PM

the CCT should be covered and they will replace it with a new version of the stock CCT, I've heard they finally made one that won't fail like that but haven't tried it

and holy crap a 20001 with stock tires?!?! 5 years on one set of tires is crazy, but I've gone through 3 sets already this year so I guess that would freak me out

Old 05-30-2006, 08:16 PM

well that's good news. hopefully i'm covered. i know there's another thread regarding the CCT and i'll ask the same question in that thread but has anyone attempted to install the new automatic CCT? or have they just used the manual since it's probably cheaper?

yeah i'm not too worried about the tires since i'm not a tracker...yet. but it's assumed i'll need new ones shortly. i've already looked into some pilot powers and got a pretty good price on them so come time and money i'll get those.

Old 05-31-2006, 03:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: paintedblue

i've already looked into some pilot powers and got a pretty good price on them so come time and money i'll get those.
Don't hide it. Share the info. I'll need some new rubbers soon too.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:44 AM

I just bought some briggs BT020 from http://www.swmototires.com/ for a good price and fast delivery as well, so far so good. they really keep the bike in a stright line even when its windy! im in cali and took 2 business days or 1.5 bussiness days to arrive. Im going to go there for futer replacements.

Quick Reply: my new fast