F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

My Impressions and Questions after the first 8 months & 3,000 miles on my 01

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Impressions and Questions after the first 8 months & 3,000 miles on my 01

Overall, I can’t say enough good things about my 2001 since I purchased it in April. If you stumble across a few of my older posts, when I purchased the bike, you will see pics of the condition I bought it in. The bike has been meeting my expectations since day 1 and overall I really feel that the bike has been resurrected. What I have done to the bike is listed below.

-Brand new OEM auto cctl
-Brand new OEM rims and Pilot Power tires
-Flush mount blinkers
-Bootleg slip on
-All fresh Fluids – Brakes bleed and coolant flushed – Running Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W40 Oil
-DDM HID’s (35W 8000k)
-ZG double bubble
-Tech spec tank grip
-Hacked Fender

Mechanically, I have no issues with the bike. I think I’ve got everything nice and tight and in spec. I had some issues with the chain being too tight as I noticed a more than normal jerky ride, but to date that has been adjusted and now things are smooth. Below are just a few questions/observations I had.

My bootleg slip-on (bought with only a few hundred miles on it from previous owner) has progressively gotten louder (It was loud to begin with). Is this due to the “honeycomb” or baffling inside getting worn er…? I thought I would never say this, but it is almost too loud now! Aken, maybe you could chime in here as you and I have the same type/style bootleg

What settings do the stock suspension adjustment ***** look like? I mean what do the adjusters on the top of the fork look like at if they are unaltered? I’m 140lbs which is ideal for stock F4i suspension and I just want to make sure the previous owner didn’t mess with the adjusters (He was a heavier set guy)

My brand new rear rim got scratched by I have no idea what! With the texture/color being black alloy/steel(?)..are there any products (marker etc..) to “touch up” these rims without it looking noticeably stoopid?

I noticed that my bar ends have always been loose, even when I try to tighten them with a screwdriver, they both are still able to kind of “float” and spin a quarter turn as if they are not tightened down. But the screw seems as tight as it can go? Regardless, the weights seem to be working as I get NO vibration in the bars which I'm grateful for.

And the MOST noticeable annoyance of this bike is the Clunky gearbox!!! When cold it is obviously louder and quiets down when fully heated but even then it is clunkier and makes more noise than any other street bike I’ve seen and or ridden. What do you think? Just live with it?

Thank guise!

Last edited by 600F4inoober; 12-08-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:49 PM

About the gearbox, I've noticed that too when comparing the old F4i to my RR so I'd say live with it? Lol

Bar ends, are they OEM? I have shogun bar end sliders and they spin around a bit too.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:54 PM

1) Most like your bootleg slip on needs to be repacked. This can be done pretty cheaply.
2) It's pretty hard to tell you what suspension settings are "stock". If you are going to play with the suspension, I'd recommend to just take some time and set the suspension to your weight. A buddy and stand is all that is needed.
3) Whenever I need to do touchups on black wheels, i use either the model paint or just a heavy duty black magic marker.
4) It sounds like your bar ends are fine. The actual anti-vibration dampening tube is only held in by a friction fit. As long as the screw isn't coming out, you're fine.
5) Gearbox, most likely you are going to have to live with it. You're already using good oil so I wouldn't change that. One thing to check: A worn/stretched clutch cable will make the gearbox clunk.

Be safe out there

Old 12-08-2010, 01:14 PM

8 Months and only 3k miles? Youre not riding enough

Old 12-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchA
8 Months and only 3k miles? Youre not riding enough
Correction, 8 months IN PHOENIX!!! and only 3k. Thats just sad
OK to the Q's.
1-Repack it
2- The rebound and compression adjusters both turn more then 360* so it dosen't matter what they look like, it matters where they're set. 140lbs is NOT ideal for the f4i's front forks, and the factory suspension settings are not ideal for anyone of any size. Thats why they put the adjusters there to begin with.
3-Sharpie!!! Then again nobody ever looks at stock rims so I wouldn't even bother.
4- Tighten the screws but the ends will always kinda float around, nothing you can do about it.
5-F4i's can be clunky but they aren't that bad. You should feel my girlfriends 81,000 mile 03 R6, now THATS clunky!!! You could always upgrade the shift star if it really bothers you.

Now for my question- weren't you about to sell this thing and get a RR anyways?

Old 12-08-2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
Correction, 8 months IN PHOENIX!!! and only 3k. Thats just sad
OK to the Q's.
1-Repack it
2- The rebound and compression adjusters both turn more then 360* so it dosen't matter what they look like, it matters where they're set. 140lbs is NOT ideal for the f4i's front forks, and the factory suspension settings are not ideal for anyone of any size. Thats why they put the adjusters there to begin with.
3-Sharpie!!! Then again nobody ever looks at stock rims so I wouldn't even bother.
4- Tighten the screws but the ends will always kinda float around, nothing you can do about it.
5-F4i's can be clunky but they aren't that bad. You should feel my girlfriends 81,000 mile 03 R6, now THATS clunky!!! You could always upgrade the shift star if it really bothers you.

Now for my question- weren't you about to sell this thing and get a RR anyways?
Thanks everyone. Glad to hear the exhaust can be repacked. What actually happens to the packing that makes the pipe louder? The packing just degrades and allow more vibration sound?

Good to know the bar ends float even when fully tightened

The suspension (and I have no idea how its currently setup..Im assuming factory) seems ok for me as the bike will only see the street...but its good to know I can customize to me liking when the times comes around

As for the gearbox, its comforting to hear that everyone else notices it and is still running great with much higher mileage than me...I knew about that star shift kit..It seems a bit too invasive of an install for me though...plus if the stock design is not flawed...then the clunky feel and sound is just more of an annoyance than anything

And boredandstroked- Yes I still am considering a pearl white 2007 RR...but only when the right one comes along...I am in no hurry to get rid of the F4i......I'm heading up to the Pavillions this Saturday night...let me know if your heading there too

Last edited by 600F4inoober; 12-08-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:01 PM

I've been riding my 02 F4i since February (just over 10 months) and I've put 8K on mine, haha. This was my first bike so I have been riding it anytime the temperature is above 50 (it gets surprisingly cold in Atlanta, btw. It'll be a high of 24 and a low of 11 Monday.

I've noticed the "clunky" shifting in mine too. Doesn't seem to be something to worry about. I didn't notice it until I rode my buddies 07 R6.

I'm in the process of reinventing mine right now too, btw. I had a spill up in the mountains a couple months back. Luckily it just cracked and scratched up the fairings, but I'm taking the chance to change the cosmetics completely out. I'll be posting pics around 12/21/2010 (when the new fairings get here).

Old 12-08-2010, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by 600F4inoober

The suspension (and I have no idea how its currently setup..Im assuming factory) seems ok for me as the bike will only see the street...but its good to know I can customize to me liking when the times comes around
I used to feel this way too. Now that I've gotten used to a good setup I couldnt imagine using the stock settings. Then again the last time I was 140 I was a HS freshman

This video (Sag) really helped me get my setup tweaked and has really added to my confidence and enjoyment of the ride. I've watched the Sag video at least 10 times. It isnt specific to our bikes but covers it all very well.

http://sportbikewrench.com/howtovideos.aspx

Old 12-09-2010, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by MitchA
I used to feel this way too. Now that I've gotten used to a good setup I couldnt imagine using the stock settings. Then again the last time I was 140 I was a HS freshman

This video (Sag) really helped me get my setup tweaked and has really added to my confidence and enjoyment of the ride. I've watched the Sag video at least 10 times. It isnt specific to our bikes but covers it all very well.

http://sportbikewrench.com/howtovideos.aspx
Lol damn beat me to it. I was just about to post that site. TON of information.

PEARL WHITE FTW!!! I love mine!!!

Old 12-09-2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by F4ith
Lol damn beat me to it. I was just about to post that site. TON of information.

PEARL WHITE FTW!!! I love mine!!!

FTW!!! This is what my future 07 RR WILL look like when its finished..powdercoated rims n" all. Its only a matter of time until the right one comes around

Name:  White07CBR.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  40.4 KB

Quick Reply: My Impressions and Questions after the first 8 months & 3,000 miles on my 01