F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

My Height ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 06:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My Height ?

well today i went to susuki and honda dealer and i got on the RR and geeze i can bearly tipy toe on one side.im scared lol.im woundering if lowering it work ?>hopefully it does.

Old 11-16-2005, 08:28 PM

lowering the bike sucks. Don't do that.

Old 11-16-2005, 09:51 PM

ORIGINAL: 01600F4i

I've been hearing some people say this, but no one explains why. Can you give us an explanation? I know it would at least help me out since I'm new to biking as well.

Old 11-17-2005, 12:03 AM

well the bike is only a few inches from the ground as it is. Hitting a bump or train tracks or a lowered bike isn't going to be fun. You also lose handling when you lower the bike. Quite a bit from what I hear. The bike is perfect as it is. It's not like when you lower a car and it makes it handle better... These bikes are engineered and tuned to near perfection, IMO.

Old 11-17-2005, 06:19 AM

its more about the leaning part than what's posted above
lower suspension = less clearance in corners

Old 11-17-2005, 07:13 AM
Retired Mod

lowering a bike is not a bad thing, as long as it is not lowered severly. the key is the lower both the front and rear the exact same amount, gotta keep stock geometry. lowering too much can cause clearance issues with the lower fairing, but i believe that severe lowing has more effect on suspension action. the shock gets into some really odd angles and cannot work as well. the only clearance issue that i could see is that your pegs are lower and will scrape sooner.

that being said, you can send your stock suspension off to any good suspension shop and have lower fork springs and shock spring installed and all the proper valving put in. if you lower the cheap way, remember to adjust your stock stuff stiffer to help with the bottoming issue.

this is all just my opinion, ive never lowered a bike, ridden a lowered bike, and personally dont care for the look. im 6'0, i need a lift kit!

Old 11-17-2005, 11:13 AM

ORIGINAL: shraz

its more about the leaning part than what's posted above
lower suspension = less clearance in corners
Got it. Good thing I'm just tall enough to get more than tippy toes on the ground

Old 11-17-2005, 01:34 PM

well the bike is only a few inches from the ground as it is. Hitting a bump or train tracks or a lowered bike isn't going to be fun. You also lose handling when you lower the bike. Quite a bit from what I hear. The bike is perfect as it is. It's not like when you lower a car and it makes it handle better... These bikes are engineered and tuned to near perfection, IMO.

Agree...also it changes the whole set up of the bike. Want to throw off the way you take turns, get your bike lowered...I tried riding my friend's F4i that was lowered 3 inches and it was so ****ty.

Old 11-17-2005, 01:51 PM

ORIGINAL: virtualbong

I've been hearing some people say this, but no one explains why. Can you give us an explanation? I know it would at least help me out since I'm new to biking as well.
Okay, I have a LOT of experience with this so I'll chime in.

Firstly, I'm 5'3" with a 28" inseam. I'm an F'in dwarf LOL.

My previous bike was a 97 F3. I had some money to burn so I toyed with the idea of lowering my bike. I've been one-footing my bikes for over 20 years but thought this may give me some inspired confidence. I lowered it about 1.5" in both front and rear with RaceTech components.

On the street (e.g. commuting, tooling around town), it was fine but you have to watch out for the speed bumps and weird driveways. In the twisties, it was fine too. No real issues. But then again, I don't ride the twisties very hard.....that's what the track is for.

On the track, it was okay. The lower center of gravity made it more flickable. That part was cool. But then my skills got a lot better. I was then scraping fairings on the turns at really hard lean angles. That's not good!

After that, I raised it back up to stock height and even raised the rear even higher with an aftermarket shock. So I was back to one-footing. But I've been doing that for over 20 years of riding so I'm used to that.

So can it be lowered? Yes.
Should it be lowered? That is the better question. It'll really depend on how your ride. My recommendation....don't lower it if you plan to ride aggressively (mainly this applies to track riders). Otherwise, you'll be okay but be careful with certain road hazards.

there are many ways to lower. Some are better than others (I personally hate the way dog bones affect teh suspension performance). Some are cheaper than others. As with anything, its about tradeoffs. Here is a post I made about lowering:
http://forums.cbrworld.net/forums/162531/ShowPost.aspx

You also lose handling when you lower the bike. Quite a bit from what I hear. The bike is perfect as it is. It's not like when you lower a car and it makes it handle better...
Actually, that's not true. The handling, like a car, gets better with the lower center of gravity. The problems arise when you're at hard lean angles. The clearance issues can be painful. Its more of a clearance issue than a handling issue.

These bikes are engineered and tuned to near perfection, IMO.
Yes and no. These bikes are designed to fit the masses. So people at the extreme ends (e.g. very short people, very tall people, very light people, very tall people, etc) have to make adjustments to the bike in order to make it work. And they are certainly not tuned to near perfection. If that were the case, everyone would have the same suspension settings and there would be no need for tunable suspensions, nor the plethora of aftermaket suspension makers.

Old 11-17-2005, 01:54 PM

ORIGINAL: pitsvtec

Agree...also it changes the whole set up of the bike. Want to throw off the way you take turns, get your bike lowered...I tried riding my friend's F4i that was lowered 3 inches and it was so ****ty.
Three inches is too much. It handles ****ty because the suspension has no room to move and do its job. You can lower a bike about 1 - 1.5 inches (maybe 2 depending on how you do it) and still have it perform well (assuming it was all done properly and setup properly). But 3 inches, no way!

Quick Reply: My Height ?