F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

My Height ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 07:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Height ?

HEY EVERYONE IVE BEEN THINKING OF BIKES FOR THE LONGEST NOW . IVE BEEN INTO INPORT CARS ALOT AND STILL AM BUT I ALSO THOUGHT I SHOULD GIVE BIKES A TRY , SINCE THEY SEEM VERY AWESOME .SO I WAS THINKING THE CBR600 ,THIS IS THE BIKE THAT HAD CAUGHT MY ATTENTION , BUT I WAS THINKING "AM I TO SHORT ?" I KNOW YOU THIS QUESTION IS BROUGHT UP ALOT.SORRY ,BUT IM JUST TRYING TO DO RESEARCH. IM ONLY 5'5 AND IM A MALE SO THAT IS SHORT.I WAS THINKING WILL THE BIKE FALL ON ME AT A STOP SIGN OR RED LIGHT WHEN I HAE TO TO PUT MY LEG . OR WOULD LEG REACH THE FLOOR .YEAH SEEMS FUNNY BUT THATS WHAT BEEN BOTHERING ME. SO IF YOU CAN HELP ME OUT. LET ME IF THIS BIKE IS GOOD FOR ME OR WHICH WILL BE GOOD . THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.

Old 11-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My Height ?

first time rider, start with something smaller.
you can lower the bike with lowering links.
it's ok to tip toe at a light...i raised my rear on my f4i and i can no longer flat foot. doesn't bother me much.

abadfish is a 'little people' guy and he rides an RR without any issues...LOL...sorry abad! hahahahhah

Old 11-08-2005, 03:04 PM

Dammit, Tahoe....haven't you learned by now that I'm the tallest 5'3" you've ever seen :P

After dealing with lowering issues on my previous bike (and going back), I won't advocate lowering a bike, especially if you're going to ride aggressively.

Back on topic....

If you are a new rider who has never ridden before, I don't suggest getting a 600 sportbike (regardless of year). Its not a beginner's bike.

Now allow me to quote myself from another thread:

I'm going to offer a perspective that is probably not popular here with the general consensus. I'm not saying its right or better but just something for you to think about and consider.

First, lets starts with some assumptions/facts:
1. you are a new rider with little to no experience.
2. your desire is to ride a sportbike which implies that you [eventually] want to ride it aggressively.

Now on to my soapbox...

Several here have said that you should get what you want or you'd otherwise be unhappy. I disagree with that. Keep in mind that this is your first bike. If you truly end up loving sportbike riding, then it won't be your last bike. No matter what you get, there will always be something newer and better out there. So there will always be some degree of dissatisfaction.

People have often said that you can start on a 600 as long as you ride responsibly and keep your head. I think that's true 99% of the time. Its that 1% that can kill you. 600s are so smooth (yes, even the older ones) that many are riding high speed without even realizing it. I'm sure we've all experienced looking down at our speedos and saying, "Oh ****! I'm doing 90mph". Now put a new rider in the twisties, cruising along being as responsible as can be and then......BOOM....you in a corner too hot. What do you do???? (there is no right or wrong answer here as there are likely several options) This is where the 600 can be outright deadly and people learn that a 600 isn't as forgiving as once thought.

In these situations, the higher horsepowered bikes would prefer to throw you off and continue on their merry way. But its these situations that you need to learn to suvive on the streets. Things like panic breaking, mid-turn steering adjustments, when and when not to apply the throttle are not easily learned on a 600 (though not impossible). In these situations, the smaller, lighter, less powerfull and more forgiving bike is what will teach you what to do and not do in a safer (and hopefully, less painful) manner. And isn't that the point of your first bike (which brings me to the first assumption/fact)???

Some have said that if you get a small bike as your first bike that you'll be wanting something with more power in a short time. Though I have no evidence or hard data to support this, IMHO, I believe the people who say this are the ones who are only concerned with going fast in a straight line and don't carry the corner speed. A small bike will force you to use all available horsepower and carry the corner speed (which brings me to the second assumption/fact). You'll learn much faster how to ride aggressively and ride a sportbike the way it was designed to. Take it to the track and you'll learn [quite quickly] the advantages to starting on a small bike.

Anyway, this is just a perspective from an avid track rider who pushes his bike more than the average street rider. Ultimately, the choice is yours. Just realize that your choices can have serious consequences. I believe a smaller bike will better prepare you for all the crap that the street will throw at you.

Old 11-08-2005, 03:41 PM

Bleedin hell the mans right (again) but he sure can write like charles dickens

Old 11-08-2005, 03:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh no...he found me...i must go...but yeth, abad makes like DNA, abad makes sense, but DNA makes like sensory cells but close enough.

Old 11-08-2005, 11:05 PM

HMMM.SO SAYING I MITE TIPY TOE ON A LIGHT.THEN WHAT BIKE WOULD BE GOOD TO START.

Old 11-08-2005, 11:48 PM

remember you dont need both feet down... you can lean to one side once you stop. Learning on a dirt bike really helps alot. They are taller but weigh less.

Old 11-09-2005, 10:33 AM

"abadfish is a 'little people' guy and he rides an RR without any issues...LOL...sorry abad! hahahahhah"

when i was looking at 05 RR's, i felt very uncomfortable just sitting on them compared 2 the f4i. the dealer told me that RRs were designed for 5' to 5'5" riders. i don't know if this is true or not.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:47 PM

5'5 is tall enough to ride. I Have seen girls on lowered RR"s that are like 5'3". You'll be fine on an f4i.

Old 11-09-2005, 02:04 PM

you should be fine. My friend who is about 5'6 sat on my bike n is able to tip-toe both feet on the ground. This is my first bike n i just got like about 3 months ago n i have a f4i. remember, it only goes as fast as you punch the throttle. if you decide to ride anyone on the back, its going to be ok expcept when they first get on, once they get on they will lower the bike which is now fine for you to flat foot. keeping your balance for 2 people is soo much harder at a light than for just one person....its very tiring at first......and also take a beginners course, it helped me a lot

Quick Reply: My Height ?