CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   My grab bar removal/hole mod (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/my-grab-bar-removal-hole-mod-51117/)

muckdawg24 10-02-2007 10:09 PM

My grab bar removal/hole mod

9 Attachment(s)
Well, I searched all over google to find something to cover up the holes that are left in the rear tail section if you remove the grab bar on later model F4is. I found something that might work and ordered some samples (for free, hell they even shipped it to me for free). Anyways, after figuring out I couldn't use them as is, I cut them down and then used weatherstrip adhesive to attach them. After attaching one I read the tube and it read "do not apply to paint." It made a little bit of my paint bubble. Good thing I read directions after application! Anyways I can be the guinea pig. Perhaps you can use blue silicone sealant or something. Will post pics installed after its dry (the adhesive and the stupid weather).
Attachment 79895
Attachment 79896
Attachment 79897
Attachment 79898
Attachment 79899
Attachment 79900
Attachment 79901
Attachment 79902
Attachment 79903

fishfryer527 10-03-2007 05:52 AM

RE: My grab bar removal/hole mod

That looks much better than that piece of aluminum that honda puts on there.

Sorry, that was my morning sarcasm escaping.

birdstrike 10-03-2007 09:04 AM

I disagree entirely. I think the grab handle looks better. The mod looks cheap and out of place. At least paint them to match. Using some fibreglass to feather them in might be an idea as well.

I really don't understand why everybody hates on the grab rail so much. Besides looks it's really functional too. I use mine for loading and offloading, mounting rear stands when theres no help around. If I were to ever get a bike without one I fear I'd have to have one mounted! But for most of you looks far outweigh function. But I don't think it looks bad either.

voodoochyl 10-03-2007 09:24 AM

I've alway thought about having a fab shop make me one. I would design it and they could make it. I may still do that...

halik008 10-03-2007 09:28 AM

it doesn't look so hot. nice smooth curvey fairing and flat angular pieces dont mix

stinger95 10-03-2007 10:11 AM

ORIGINAL: birdstrike

I disagree entirely. I think the grab handle looks better. The mod looks cheap and out of place. At least paint them to match. Using some fibreglass to feather them in might be an idea as well.

I really don't understand why everybody hates on the grab rail so much. Besides looks it's really functional too. I use mine for loading and offloading, mounting rear stands when theres no help around. If I were to ever get a bike without one I fear I'd have to have one mounted! But for most of you looks far outweigh function. But I don't think it looks bad either.
I agree 100%.

ikhoudvanu199 10-03-2007 10:30 AM

although i agree that i dont think it looks that hot right now, id like to see it with the seat on, i think it might look better

plus, who cares what any of us think? if the owner likes it, they like it...and i must admit it was quitecrafty the way ya did that :)

muckdawg24 10-03-2007 12:53 PM

I like it so I don't really care what everybody thinks. I hate the grab bar. I will most likely paint them. Probably use some of the krylon fusion as a primer coat so the honda color will stick. Just sharing for anyone else who feels the same. Flame on.

fishfryer527 10-03-2007 04:24 PM

I will most likely paint them.
Maybe give them a little sanding/filling to get rid of the texture of the plastic?

muckdawg24 10-03-2007 07:38 PM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

I will most likely paint them.
Maybe give them a little sanding/filling to get rid of the texture of the plastic?
i wonder how smooth I could get them though...