F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

My front tire locks up

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 12:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My front tire locks up

you can buy them from ronayers.com. if you're going into the trouble might as well rebuild the whole mc, or go with another unit, like a take off from gixxer or something.

do check your caliper...stuck calipers will do the same thing until the fluid temps drop and the expanded fluid contracts.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kevin,
I think your theory is worth checking into. And FWIW I was curious about the quotes thing too.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually, when brake pads wear down, the pistons on the caliper push out more and trap a dirt ring around them. When new pads are put in, the pistons are pushed back into the caliper. This dirt ring then causes the pistons to stick and effectly keep your brake pads touching the disc. Sometimes it causes the discs to heat up, slowing down the bike, other times it basically locks up the wheel. I was in that lock up situation once and had to bleed the brake fluid out of the front and ride back home(about 3miles) with just the rear brakes.

I suggest you try cleaning the pistons and put it back it. That might just fix it. It worked for me.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:46 AM

ok so far I have changed the fluid and clean the right caliper. At first two of the pistons would stay still but I got themslide to move better. Now on the left caliper again two move freely and the other two really dont want to come out. I tried pumping brakes but I cant seem to keep the two good ones from moving. Any suggestions? I am getting new pads today so hopefully tomorrow I can get this all figured out.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:44 AM

Stick something in there thick enough to keep them from closing on you then you can clean the stuck ones. I like to stack old pads turned sideways for this.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:05 PM

It might be youre brakes i had my brakes lock up on me cause there was air in there. All I did is bleed my brakes and they were fine

Old 07-03-2008, 06:17 PM

ORIGINAL: jam0837

ok so far I have changed the fluid and clean the right caliper. At first two of the pistons would stay still but I got themslide to move better. Now on the left caliper again two move freely and the other two really dont want to come out. I tried pumping brakes but I cant seem to keep the two good ones from moving. Any suggestions? I am getting new pads today so hopefully tomorrow I can get this all figured out.
For each caliper, two pistons are to move and the other two are in a fixed position (to hold back against the pushing two). Whats important is that the two on the side of the hose can come out, and using a flat bar between them, you should be able to push them back in.

Make sure when you put the pads in, you don't press the brake lever until the unit is mounted. Top of the brake fluid in the reservoir and bleed the brake lines.

Hopefully, that should get you back in good order.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:46 AM

All 4 of my pistons move. Granted, not an equal amount, but they move nonetheless.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:50 AM

one more thing to consider.

When rubber brake hoses go bad, they go bad from the inside. The linings will start to peel off of each other and can cause a check valve effect. The hose will allow pressure to go to the calipers, but wont let it come back out immediately. After time to pressure pushes back through the 'clog', sometimes within minutes, sometimes hours, depends on the severity of the clog.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:37 AM

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180

All 4 of my pistons move. Granted, not an equal amount, but they move nonetheless.
You are so right, I went back and checked my, cleaned out all the pistons and indeed, they do move, albeit by little amounts.

My badd [:@]

Quick Reply: My front tire locks up