CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   My front tire locks up (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/my-front-tire-locks-up-72154/)

jam0837 06-29-2008 12:48 PM

My front tire locks up

I am new to the forum. I recently bought a 2001 F4i. When I bought it the guy just put new tires and I test rode it. Everything worked fine. No noises no nothing. The only thing it really needed was to change the brakes. The pads were kind of worn but they still have some life. Yesterday when I was pushing the bike out of the garage to wash it the front tire locked up on me. I had to drag it in the garage with my brother. It seemed as if the brake was fully applied. There was a lot of pressure on the lever. I looked at the wheel and nothing is rubbing but the pads. I left it alone and later it pushed no problem. Today i went to ride it to the gas station and while on the rode it started to get locked up again. I waited a bit and turned it around. When I got back I looked at the front tire and saw the whole tire, rim, and rotors is spinning in the opposite direction. This is probably the problem right. Please give me your in put. Thanks in advance.

woot 06-29-2008 01:44 PM

RE: My front tire locks up

?!?
It isn't front wheel drive - there is absolutely nothing that could make the front wheel spin backwards.

Park the bike. Get someone who know's bikes to come and look at it, or trailer it to a bike shop. I have no idea what is going on, but if you have a front brake failure, the last thing you should be doing is riding it.

It is possible that one of the front brake calipers are sticking, or that something is wedged in the brake pads. That would cause the brakes to stick. It is unusual that they'd unstick just given time.

In all honesty, it is either newbie newness, or something is seriously wrong with the bike and it needs a professional.

Jaybird180 06-29-2008 04:27 PM

Perhaps he means the tire was installed the wrong direction. Perhaps the bearings areseizing when heatedup?????

jam0837 06-29-2008 09:59 PM

Yes they were installed in the wrong direction. This week I am going to:

[ul][*]Turn the wheel around.[*]Check the wheel bearings.[*]Bleed the brakes.[*]Clean calipers and pistons.[*]Install new brake pads.[/ul]After this I should be all set. Hopefully.

Jaybird180 06-29-2008 10:00 PM

Sounds good to me.

axsys 06-30-2008 01:52 AM

jam0837, that should be a fix to all your problems. post back once you have done that and let us know how it goes

Tahoe SC 06-30-2008 09:59 AM

installing the wheel backwards would lead to a seized wheel. it won't line up with the calipers, etc. and you'll get a nice ding near the wheel bearing from contact with the fork.

sounds like your brakes are seizing. lube the sliding pin and make sure there are no pits in it. if there are, sand it out so that the pads can move freely on them.

kevin_stevens 06-30-2008 11:52 AM

ORIGINAL: jam0837

I am new to the forum. I recently bought a 2001 F4i. When I bought it the guy just put new tires and I test rode it. Everything worked fine. No noises no nothing. The only thing it really needed was to change the brakes. The pads were kind of worn but they still have some life. Yesterday when I was pushing the bike out of the garage to wash it the front tire locked up on me. I had to drag it in the garage with my brother. It seemed as if the brake was fully applied. There was a lot of pressure on the lever. I looked at the wheel and nothing is rubbing but the pads. I left it alone and later it pushed no problem. Today i went to ride it to the gas station and while on the rode it started to get locked up again. I waited a bit and turned it around. When I got back I looked at the front tire and saw the whole tire, rim, and rotors is spinning in the opposite direction. This is probably the problem right. Please give me your in put. Thanks in advance.
Sounds to me like your master cylinder reservoir port is blocked. On bikes with adjustable MC strokes, like Ducatis, you can actually adjust the lever incorrectly so that this happens. For a Japanese bike it would be some foreign body clogging the port (like maybe part of the MC piston seal that tore).

The effect is that the brakes turn into a closed system - when you release the lever there's no way for fluid to escape back into the reservoir. The brakes drag, and as they drag and build up heat, the fluid in the lines expands, causing the brakes to drag more, causing more heat, etc. It's very dangerous, you can go from a dragging sensation to a fully locked wheel faster than you can get off the road.

I don't know if that's the problem from your description, but it's more likely than having the wheel backwards (isn't usually a problem if it fits in the first place). I wouldn't ride the bike until you get it sorted out.

KeS

PS - WTF is up with the apostrophes on this board? It adds another one every time you edit the message!?!

jam0837 06-30-2008 12:04 PM

The funny thing is that when I was riding I didnt once touch the front brake. It locked up by itself.

So Kevin, you think it may be the master cylinder? would I need a new one or just replace the seal?

Where can I buy seals from? I want to open and clean the calipers, they are kinda dirty. Also I will need the master cylinder seal.

kevin_stevens 06-30-2008 12:10 PM

You usually have to buy MC seal kits from the dealer, but I'm not an expert on Honda stuff. Only have had my bike for a short time.

KeS