F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

My first week of riding....

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first week of riding....

First of all I just want to thank everyone here on the site for the help they have provided. Three weeks I purchased a 2006 F4i and was not able to get tags for it until Monday of Last week giving me a week up until this point to ride. I've put on about 800 miles in that time frame. This is my very first bike. This is a great experience, its truely a wonderful bike, both in performance and ride quality, however I do have a few question in hopes that you'll be able to direct me in right direction. The only mods it has is, Integrated turn signals and flush mount in the front and a Akrapovic pipe. Here are my questions:

1. I'm noticing that its not as responsive on the throttle as I expected, (mainly in first gear) will a PC resolve this issue?

2. While the bananna seat is very comfortable, I'd entertain the idea of doing the split seat conversion if a simple conversion exsist. Is there a fairly simple converstion or am I going to have to replace the rear tail section?

3. I'm looking at replacing the rear tail light with the High Tech Speed UFO Light, What are you guy's feelings on this light and how easy is the install of it?

Old 05-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Default RE: My first week of riding....

Congrats on the bike, it is mine as well and has been great to learn on. it kind of grows as you do. its forgiving when you're learning, and can hold on and respond when you learn how to make it.

Throttle responce is kind of touchy, many people think that a bike is going to rip thier arms off with acceleration just because... well, it's a bike. but thats not really the case on all bikes. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, and a PC with no mods won;t do much. evenwith an exhaust and new filter and a PC, thats only good for a few horses. It you WANT to get your arms ripped off... ride a liter bike.

The conversion DOES entail changing out the whole rearend, subframe and all. From what i have heard, if you have all the parts, it isn;t very difficult, and can be done fairly easily. there are many write-ups on here that walk you through the process, and i think one even has a parts list.

As for the tail light i have no personal experience with it, but i just looked at the instructions, and the hardes par seems to be taking apart the housing to install the LED board. messing with that glue sucks, but the wiring does not seem that difficult.

Keep the shiny side up

Old 05-08-2008, 01:54 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

ORIGINAL: Va600F4I
1. I'm noticing that its not as responsive on the throttle as I expected, (mainly in first gear) will a PC resolve this issue?

2. While the bananna seat is very comfortable, I'd entertain the idea of doing the split seat conversion if a simple conversion exsist. Is there a fairly simple converstion or am I going to have to replace the rear tail section?

3. I'm looking at replacing the rear tail light with the High Tech Speed UFO Light, What are you guy's feelings on this light and how easy is the install of it?
1) this could be anything I have an akro CF pipe on my F4i and i'v never ever had a problem with it, is your throttle cable slack? the "play" in the throttle may make you think it's slower? most slip on's really dont do anything besides lose some weight and change the sound of the bike.

2) I'v done the conversion *i have an 05* you need to buy everything off ebay including "a new tail light, your intagrated one wont work' subfram passanger pegs, plastic, seats, and then wire all the old wires off the 05 frame and onto the 01-03 frame.

3)never seen one but if you do the tail swap you'll need the 01-03 tail light anyway

Old 05-08-2008, 06:01 AM

when u have just a slip-on, u actually will loose a little low end torque. I had a cf shorty on for a lil bit and could tell the bike got a lil slower on the lower rpms due to the lack of back pressure. U might gain a slight amount of hp but only in the high end of the rpm band. To do it properly get a pc and tune your bike on a dyno. I ended up taking off the slip-on. Yeh the stock canister doesnt look as pretty but it pulls harder down low. Its a give take........

Old 05-08-2008, 12:03 PM

If you're talking about low end 1st gear pull, the 600 isn't going to have gobs of torque down low. But I mean, it still shouldn't feel sluggish either lol. Mine is quite responsive in first gear, but I also have -1 +2 sprockets.