F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

my first trackday

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my first trackday

I experienced my first track day last weekend and wanted to share. I had NO IDEA what a rush that is and most importantly just what our bikes are capable of doing. Now I can see why certain members on our board mostly only ride the track. Man, I am soooo hooked now, I wish it didn't cost so much LOL. Now I'm looking at suits, race boots, gloves, etc. Can't even concentrate at work!

It was so weird though since then, I don't really have the crazy desire to take long rides on the street like I did before. I just want to go back to the track. Now that I'm hooked, I'm hoping some of you could help me out with a couple of questions:

Do you run a different weight oil than the street? I use 10-40 in the winter and 20-50 (I think) here in AZ in the summer months. Should I change more often than the 2500 miles or so if I ride more on the track?

I run on Pilot Powers (not the CT's). Man after one track day the edges are all stredded. How many track days can they handle?

Any other helpful info that would help me out on track would be awesome. I'll soak it all in!

To all who have never experienced a track day, do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-16-2007, 12:03 PM
Default RE: my first trackday

On a 600 if there are no 100mph+ corners the tires will probably make it 3-4 track days. That is with little to no street miles to add heat cycles.
IT sure is fun huh? LOL

In the midwest I run full synthetic 10-30 year round. 100+ degree to 22 degree.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I jealous dude... track season was over here right after my first track day (((((((
It takes the punch out of street riding... actually now I'm more stressed out riding street 'cause of all the uncontrolled parameters. if I could afford it my F4i would be track only by now.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:39 PM

Man, that would be rough but at least you got to go. Well now you have the off season to save some $$$ for next season. Thanks for the info Gixxereater, tires every 4 track days is what I've heard as well. Dayum!

What kinds of leathers do you guys use? Any likes, dislikes? I've seen a lot of Alpinestars of course, Frank Thomas, Dainese, Teknic???

Old 11-16-2007, 01:51 PM

I got a question, if you have no track apparrel, equipment, etc. How much are you looking at to get equipped?

Old 11-16-2007, 01:59 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

to rent it? genereally the leatheres are about 100 bucks to rent at the track of you can buy a full suit for anywhere from 300-1000 depending on deals in your area, then you gota buy boots. and hopefully you already have nice gloves.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:20 PM

The trackday I went to leathers was included in the cost of the track day for those who needed. Cost for all day was $170.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:19 PM

that is a decent price.
get whatever suit works well and wont blow your budget on more trackdays. no need to be busting dainese, etc...get whatever brand fits you best!

Old 11-16-2007, 10:59 PM

If you do want your own leathers I recommend Teknic gear (One piece) and Teknic gloves. It is a must that you buy a back protector (Knoxx) and decent gloves and of course a decent helmet. I have had a number of 'offs' racing and quality gear has never let me down....

Track days are the brilliant fun...Soon you will be looking at tyre warmers (no morenormal2 lap warmup) and I recommend letting tyre pressures down to say 30/30 for more grip (depends on the weather and tyres run though!) - then obviously getting access to a pump for the ride home. The bits then start adding up...lol

Oh...best get some new knee sliders as well......... lol

Old 11-16-2007, 11:35 PM

welcome to the addiction!

its a good idea to change oil after every track weekend

with leathers you get what you pay for. I have Sidi and Komodo and like both. I've had a couple small issues with the Komodos but nothing bad enough to keep me from buying them again, still great stuff. My Spidi leathers have held up really well, probably 6 crashes between me and the guy I bought them from before I had to have them repaired. Both have been great and both fit me well which is the most important thing. There are a lot of reputable brands out there and some unknown.

Quick Reply: my first trackday