F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

My first lowside

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My first lowside

So..weather is kinda nice in NY so I went to the DMV to register my bike and get my plates.. This is my first true ride on a motorcycle. I was doing well until I went on this one road that was covered with mounds of salt. I ride over this mound of salt and lost traction initiated a low side...I was going like 35mph and as soon as I felt that back tire start to slide..everything slowed down.. and I knew there was no way I was saving it so I let go.

I ended up with some road rash on my hip and knee and my ankle is a little busted up.
My bike on the other hand is leaking oil, my whole rear set shifter side snapped off and my turn signals are gone. Plastics are still good..doesn't look like its cracked or anything so my sliders did a good job of holding up.

Hopefully everything under the stator cover is fine. I'm happy I had all my gear on cause it would have been a lot worse....what a way to start of the season

Old 02-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Exclamation

Oh hell no, not you too Chetman ~ Two in one week! You East Coast guys gotta start being more careful. Glad your Ok man (for the most part), sorry about the bike. Good thing for sliders...

Old 02-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully everything under the stator cover is fine. I'm happy I had all my gear on cause it would have been a lot worse....what a way to start of the season
All in all it could have been alot worse. Atleast you didnt hurt yourself to the point where you werent able to ride at all the rest of the season. Thank God for them frame sliders and that you were wearing gear..

Just think though, now your season should only get better from here.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:08 PM

yea...thank god I didn't break anything...that would be terrible. Thanks for tthe support and concern. I'm still shooken up from it all..i'm def gonna be hesistant gettin back on. but I'll get over it..just gotta live and learn

Old 02-17-2009, 03:49 PM

Just put it away until april/may.

Any crash you can walk away from is a good one so think of it as experience.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:05 PM

that sucks dude, glad it wasn't worst. heal up quick.

and not too make you feel any worst, but for future references, from the way you explained it, you COULD have saved it. if your front tire slides out, it's very hard to save, but rear tire is easy, if you're familiar with the back brake and sliding/drifting.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dirtytoes
that sucks dude, glad it wasn't worst. heal up quick.

and not too make you feel any worst, but for future references, from the way you explained it, you COULD have saved it. if your front tire slides out, it's very hard to save, but rear tire is easy, if you're familiar with the back brake and sliding/drifting.
Please share. I'll take all the advice I can get...I guess I could of saved it..but my nerves got to me and I panic-ed

Old 02-17-2009, 09:36 PM

Ya I lost control of my rear wheel too when the person in front of me came to a sudden and completely random stop on the road. I locked up my rear wheel and it started fishtailing for a good 15 feet before I somehow regained control. I don't remember exactly how I did it though hahaha I guess I just got really lucky.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:28 AM

Good to hear you're okay!

Old 02-18-2009, 07:34 PM

+1 on chetman, you can keep control even if your bike is sliding out in the rear, i had a 750 katana that i used at our local school to try and drift around with lol, got alright at it, but the point is, when your rear is sliding, use your legs and arms to control how much and at what angle the bike is sliding. it can be done.

Quick Reply: My first lowside