F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

my first accident....HURTS BAD

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 02:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: my first accident....HURTS BAD

What does going too slow have to do with losing it??

Old 12-01-2006, 08:41 PM

the simple answer......centrifical force--in essence, when you lean the bike over to make a corner, gravity wants to pull you to the ground (in my case gravity won). however because of your speed. the laws of physics want to push the bike to the outermost point in its orbit around the turn (hence the reason you slide once you fall). so when you are leaned over it is your speed that causes enough circular force to keep your wheels firmly planted on the ground....if you are going too slow (as i was) for the amount of lean you are taking in a curve....well then gravity overcomes the force holding you in the curve and several hundred dollars later and a few cuts and scrapes you learned an expensive and painful physics lesson

Old 12-02-2006, 02:35 AM

From your description you were going into a left turn but, you whipped it to the right first and back to the left into the turn?.. If this was the case, then you were trying to pre-load/whip your directional force?... That would be all good and well on a dirt bike as you need to slide out the tail to get a very high/aggressive angle on the rear to power through the turn. Now on a sport bike it's about gently/smoothly making your apexes and weight shift through a turn, not forcing it. Very rapid weight shift will throw off your side2side front2back balance really fast;because of the short wheel base, steep head tube angle and tight suspension trail.
From my 12yrs of street/dirt riding it sounds like you shifted your weight to quick and to much. Also remember at lower speed you need to roll the bike under you while you stay more of a straight angle to the ground.>> Hope that helps.

And don't beat up on yourself, goof mistakes are part of riding. Look on the positive atleast you only have a rashed bike and a hurt ego. Much better than having a broken arm, eah.

Heal up and hop back on