F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

my bike fell over!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: my bike fell over!!

ORIGINAL: maldy21

i push the start button and it goes er,er,er,er,er,er,er (thats what i would sound like if i were a motorcycle) for about5 secthen it dies. the engine doesn't fire up.
Ok. That is a lot better than the engine not turning over at all.There are several problems that can come from letting the bikelayon it's side for a long period of time. I had a dirtbike fallover in my garage several years back and hadsome problems getting it started too.
You say that you had the battery checked out and it was fine? So when you say you try to start it for about 5 seconds and it dies, you are talking about the battery dies, correct? After it dies,are you having tocharge the battery before you can try starting the bike again? The battery shouldn't die from justtrying to start the bike fora few seconds. I've heard leaving a battery on it's side can ruin it. If uhave a voltage meter,fully charge the battery, andcheck the voltage.Then with the voltage meter still hooked to the battery, try starting the bike for a few seconds and then stop. If the voltage drops rapidlyand doesn't go back up when you stop cranking, your batteryneedsto be replaced.
To avoid the aggrevation of having to keep recharging the battery in the mean time, Try using jumper cables from a vehicle (car engine turned off). Thatwill give youa larger time frame to trouble shoot the issue(s) that arecausing the bike not torun.
Now it's time to trouble shoot..
I would suggest removing the spark plugs, and using the starter button forfew seconds. Like kamikaze said,seeif it spitsoil out of the plug holes. If it does spit oil out, continue to start the bike a few seconds, stop and let the starter cool down for a minute, and repeat that step until you don't see anymore oil spitting out.. If oil does in fact spit out,Obviously, you're going to need to clean the spark plugs with a solvent that will remove oil residue. Gasoline or starter fluidwill work, but make sure you let them dry completely before putting them back in. If no oil comes out when you try starting it without the plugs in, and the plugs look clean,check to make sure you are getting "spark"from the plugs. To do this, with the spark plugs removed, snapone of theplugs into a spark plug wire, HOLD THE RUBBERBOOT, and put the end of the spark plug neara metal ground, like a bolt head, andpress the started button.You should see a blue spark between thespark plug and the bolt.DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING METALON THE BIKE WHILE YOU DO THIS!IT WILL SHOCK THEHELL OUT OF YOU.
If yousee agood spark from the spark plug, go ahead and put the plugsback in.Try starting the bike. IF itDOES start, dont rev it up. Just let it idle for a minute, and kill it.Let it sit for a while, then start it again. You're bike is all out ofwhack right now.It'svery unlikely that anything serious is wrong with it.Think of it as amotorcycle hangover. Gonnabe slow getting back on it's feet, and might run a little weird at first, but it should bounce back just fine.

Good luck, andkeep us updated. BTW, sorry ifI went into too muchdetail. It just sounded like youhaven't done muchmechanic work, so I figuredit would helpto be specific.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:21 PM

Thanks so much for the help!! i got her started. i got pictures too. i took out the spark plugs and hit the start button and it was like a baby throwing up. i continued to do so until i did't see any oil, cleaned the spark plugs and put em back, and she started right out. there was a bunch of white smoke comin out and i think water out of my exaust. i killed it and now i am in my room washing my air box and ducts with some dawn to get all the oil off. im tryin to figure out how to post pics.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:23 PM

Name:  DSC01764.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  208.7 KB
Name:  DSC01765.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  94.3 KB
Name:  DSC01766.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  167.6 KB
Name:  DSC01768.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  182.3 KB

maybe these work? lil help?

Old 09-01-2008, 05:38 PM

Name:  DSC01764.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  208.7 KB
Name:  DSC01765.jpg
Size:  94.3 KB
Name:  DSC01766.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  167.6 KB
Name:  DSC01768.jpg
Size:  182.3 KB

There you go

Old 09-01-2008, 05:50 PM

well thank you very much bluej. all the oil was in the 1st cylinder and the pictures just show how much oil came out and kind of how it just shot out on me. the last pic is of the spark plugs, the are very black but the pic isn't the greatest but i am just trying to give you an idea of what they looked like. thanks again for all the help. any advice on the water coming out of my pipe?